Monday, August 11, 2008

I have been thinking about things and people lately that haven’t crossed my mind for a long time. The magnitude of becoming a mother has inspired so many thoughts and feelings! I am home during the day allowing my body to recuperate and am forced to give myself time to really think. I hold my child in my arms; I look at her and think about so many things. I think about the crossroads in my life that have led me to this point. I reflect upon the seemingly insignificant decisions of my life that have been nowhere close to insignificant or trivial at all. They have
been frighteningly pivotal.
For example, a series of these"coincidences" led me to Jason, and him to me. His sister Becky was my roomate. We happened to move into the complex that she wanted to live at as well, and then we had to have a room available in order for her to move in, etc, etc, etc. So many things happened throughout our courtship and history that were unbelieveably... serendipitous. The decision to marry him was undoubtedly the best choice I ever made, and what tremendous impact it will have on my entire life, my eternity, and generations to come. It hurts my brain sometimes to think about. Kinda like thinking about
the size of the universe, if you catch me.
I reflect upon the people in my life; so many that have entered casually and exited it with the same amount of nonchalance. However, again, looking back now I realize profoundly that there was nothing casual about those encounters with specific individuals. So many came into my life precisely when I needed them, and so many have since softly faded out. I think about how much I really did need them and how amazingly mindful the Lord has been throughout the years of the people I have needed to learn lessons from and when I needed them. Whether it be close friends I have had, or guys I dated, or classmates of mine through the various semesters of schooling, mission companions, or work acquaintances that suddenly became much more to me than mere acquaintances. Maybe it was a longtime relationship we've shared or just a one-time conversation that caused a paradigm shift; helped me see the world in a different way and turned out to be extremely impactful on me. It's interesting, the fact that I’ve lost contact with some through the years doesn’t change or diminish how much I needed them in the moment that they were in my life. I suppose that is just life; the majority of people we have contact with come and go and we walk the road together for just a moment. They still mean a great deal to us. We are forever changed because of those "chance" encounters.

I envision the life that Lucy has laid out in front of her, in awe at the fact that she has her entire road ahead of her. Jason and I talk about it all the time. She is just now beginning. We wonder about her spirit; who she is and who she will become as she matures and learns during her time here. I wonder about the people who the Lord will send her way that she will need to learn from, and that she in turn will teach and touch.

Right now she is completely dependent upon Jason and me for absolutely everything she needs to sustain her life. She is so helpless and innocent. The only way she will learn and grow as a person is by being exposed to those things I want to protect her most from; experiences that will bring her pain and sorrow. Talk about a paradox.

Don't you love this life? Aren't you amazed at the capacity we have for joy even through trials and challenges? Isn't it amazing how our ability to feel and experience and endure is ever deepening and widening? Aren't you grateful for the people you've shared with in your life, past and present?? I guess I am just becoming increasingly more aware of how involved my Father in Heaven is in the daily little mundane details of my life. I guess I am realizing that there really is hardly anything little or insignificant, period. And at the end of the day we are constantly weaving something new into our intricate tapestry; whether we're conscious of it or not. I do love this life. And to say we love this little girl is the most unfair understatement. We had no idea we could feel like this.
Sometimes it all seems too good to be true.

14 comments:

Ashley and Paul Giddings said...

Meradith... I wanna cry. You always have the best posts and you are such an incredible writer. You have a talent for words and I am grateful for the impact you have had on my life as a "work acquaintance"...hopefully we can become better friends and walk for at least awhile this beautiful life together while we experience the joys, and I'm sure at some point the sorrows, of motherhood. I also must say that your husband too has had a great impact on my husband and therefore my family as well. I cannot even begin to express the respect and trust we feel for Jason..he is always a relief for me when the stresses and worries of summer sales creep into my head- I just know that no matter what, Jason is honest and cares for his employees- so thank you to both of you for the examples you are and the kindness you have shown. That little Lucy sure is blessed and beautiful!

Ryan & Amanda said...

It is amazing how much more you think about things as a mother. I have wondered so many times about what the future holds for Alli, and at times it is scary thinking about how the world is and the things she will have to go through. It is amazing how much your capacity to love increases as your life changes to revolve around the precious little baby. Lucy is such a beautiful baby, I am so excited for you, being a mother truly is the greatest ever! I feel so blessed all the time that I get to be a mom, not a dad, and while I loved teaching school, I am soo thankful I don't have to leave her to go to work everyday!

Anonymous said...

You have a great talent in writting. I always love reading your posts! Its amazing how things change when you have a little baby. They are so precious and are truly gifts from God. You have always been such a fun girl to be around I am glad I have had the chance to know you. Thanks for always putting smiles on all of our faces!

Hailey Smoot Kandell said...

I love this post, you have to experience motherhood to truly understand how deep a love can be. Its the best thing ever.

candicetheresa said...

Okay, sorry to stray from the topic at hand, but you ARE my blog mentor so I need a tip. I changed my background and now I can't get my slideshow to be a "long and center" box at the top of my blog. Does that make sense? It use to be a wide, long, and center box just like my title box, and now, no more. I can't figure it out. I see you still have that. Can you help?

Challis said...

You know, I could read your posts all day long. You are an incredible writer and so, so thoughtful and insightful. Keep up the deep thinking and great posting--it gives me food for my own thought.

The DeGraffs said...

i could just hear you shouting my name as this blog was being written! ha! kidding...i havent left your life quite yet! and when i do, it wont be subtle...k, that kinda sounded like a threat, but totally not what i was intending it to be. i figure it only makes sense to fill the best blog ever with the worst comments ever. i guess thats my little role in your life, to make you retardeder by making you read shiz like this. you know, so you dont get way too smart. i can put an end to deep and profound thinking with a comment in less than 3 seconds, i do it all the time. kind of a talent i have...night.

~Mike & Mackenzie said...

Oh my goodness, Lucy is SO cute! Good job guys! I loved reading your post .. you guys look like a family that belongs on the cover of a magazine!! Seriously!!

Congratulations on becoming parents!

I will check back regularly so that I can see her grow (they grow VERY quickly in the beginning)!!

I don't see spell check on this comment page, hopefully my words are spelled correctly:-)

Love you guys!

Your cousin, Kenzie

Unknown said...

Mera girl you are so cute! I loved this post plus the pictures are so amazing. I am so glad I got to see little Lucy in person and so sorry Berlin almost body slammed her:) Isn't it crazy that in no time at all you will have a baby Berlin's size? Enjoy these little baby moments because all of the sudden they are toddlers and you will be left in their dust:) I love you girl call me soon when you are free.

m@R(! said...

Meradith!! hey it's marci. I look at your blog sometimes and i decided to write so i don't feel like a stocker. :) you little girl is adorable..absolutely beautiful!! you are an amazing mother...and i LOVE your post!

katie said...

meradith...it's impossible not to look and lucy is darling! i love the pics that you posted!!
this was a wonderful post and sooo true and something that i've thought alot about too. why? why? why do things happen? i don't think that we'll ever really know but we can atleast learn from it and take whatever we can from it, huh?!? honestly...thanks for the reminder and i'm sure that i'll stalk some more again soon ...
kt

jodeeharris said...

Oh, Meradith, she is BEAUTIFUL!! I'm so bummed I missed lunch the other day, I really wanted to see her! I told Stace let's have a mom n' me day, soon! The newborn stage is so amazing, I felt like crying just reading your posts. It's such a magical time, I remember staring at Avery non-stop too and bawling because I felt so full of love. Don't you just wish you could freeze time for a bit? Little Lucy is lucky to have such a fun, loving mama.

Congrats to you and Jason!!!

Durrant said...

Amazing insight you are one incredible writer! I think motherhood just gets better as they grow. Lucia is such a doll! Congrats!

darcie said...

looks like mommy's eyes! she's drop dead gorgeous. and yes meradith, i'm a little bit more serious, thoughtful, boobish, and delighted like you.