Saturday, January 2, 2010

New Year's Love

2010 still sounds totally futuristic to me. I'm kind of in shock that the first decade of this millennium is breezing past us. I'm in shock that next year is my ten year high school reunion. I'm in shock at how much I hate Cool Whip in comparison to whip cream in the salad I made for our get-together Thursday night. I'm in shock that I just discovered Jason's pint of Baskin Robbins ice-cream untouched in the freezer, and that he left it sitting there in plain sight; so vulnerable; so unprotected. I'm in shock at the developing cankles 5 months into this pregnancy. Lots of shock in my life.

This year we just wanted to do something low key and relaxing for New Year's. So, on short notice (as in we decided the day before) we had a few family members and friends over at our place. We played games and stuffed our faces and laughed a lot. I remember my first New Year's as a married woman, 3 weeks after we were wed. We were in San Fransisco with my sister Vanessa and her hub, and my brother Jesse and his girlfriend. We were at this fancy restaurant when midnight struck, we yelled and hooted and hollered and smooched, and then I was absolutely elated at the thought of immediately going home and getting off my high heals and snuggling into bed. I was so relieved to realize that was okay, and I wasn't expected to stay out at some party until 4 AM. Maybe I am lame for feeling that way. But that's why we unabashedly threw everyone out onto the streets at 12:01. I'm not ashamed.
The girls. Apparently there is a little dancing monkey to our right that Becky, Katie and Aimei couldn't take their eyes off of.
The girls again, after I said, "Pretend like I just said something really funny." Everyone is pretty convincing except for me. Or maybe they thought me saying that was the really funny thing. Or maybe they're mocking my lame fake laugh face.
If I were a gambling woman, I would bet that Utah sells way more Martinelli's than any other state. A safe bet.
Dave having flash backs of his crazy college days.
Apples to apples. Proud to say Becky and I shared a sweet, sweet victory. Still can't believe that Katie threw in "Helen Keller," when everyone had to give something associated with the word, "Awkward." Crickets chirped while everyone just sat there shaking their heads at her in disgust. And then that was awkward.
Don't know where this idea came from, but everyone thought running around the house, (literally around the perimeter of the house) in bare feet in deep snow would be fun at midnight. Becky and I were exempt, far too dangerous for a pregnant woman. Comparable to scuba diving I'd say.
My gallant husband led the charade. He has 1.5 toes now missing, but it was so worth it.
Romantic shot of the newlyweds. And my Jason watching them make out. And the shopping cart he got for Christmas.
Happy happy new year everyone! (Just sat here blinking at the screen trying to think of a clever way to wrap this up. I got nothin.) Here's to '10. (What will people say now by the way?)

7 comments:

jenna said...

oh okay our invitation must have gotten lost in the mail. it looks fun. but probably wasn't THAT fun because we weren't there. :)

Eric & Aimei Phillips said...

Thank you for NOT putting the awful picture of me running bare footed!!! We had so much fun, thanks!!! Max is feeling better. Hey, if you guys are up for a party next week...max's first birthday next week!

candicetheresa said...

You funny funny girl. I totally did a way better fake laugh after that shot. You gotta have some proof. You gotta. You're gorge. And can I borrow Jason's shopping cart?

Anonymous said...

happy new year! what a great way to spend it with good company! i love playing games.

Leah said...

I think they will call it "twenty ten" not sure though, but that's my guess!! Girl you make me laugh! Your posts are always enlightening or hilarious! It was so fun to see you while you were in IF. I am looking forward to seeing more of you as well. You are much needed sunshine in my life! And your comments on my blog made me laugh so hard! Don't worry, not many look at it! Happy New Year :)

Dave said...

Mer!
That was quite the rave even though Katie tried to bring it down with her Helen Keller crack! Add us to your list of blog friends so that I don't have to be the only single dude listed.
www.davidandkathryncarlile@blogspot.com

The match-making for Char and Spencer is in the works...should we get Becky involved somehow so that it will be a guaranteed success??
-DC

Jill Wilson said...

Fun!! You look so pretty Mera. Pregnancy and you go well together ;) Cant wait to see her when she is born.