Monday, February 14, 2011

Palm Beach, Florida

For some early Valentine's craziness, we left the babies with my mom and headed down to South Florida to frolic in the ocean waves. And lemme tell ya, we were CRAZY. Lots of making out and groping on the beach with lots of people around... we didn't even care... my husband is SO into PDA it's just nuts. We just can't keep our hands off each other!!
Just kidding. I know you won't believe me when I tell you this, but that picture's not actually us! You're so gullible!! We went down mostly on business (Jason had a conference) and it was rainy about 75% of the time so no frolicking on the beach for us. It was however still in the low 60's and the temperature was simply glorious nonetheless.

So we did have some fancy dinners that went along with the conference but I ashamed to say we didn't get any pictures from our nights out. I know right? I know you're sad but try not to let it ruin your day. We have become those lame parents who cannot remember the camera for the life of us when our children are nowhere near. (Jod, I'm so mad we didn't get any pics of us, especially doing twirls.)

The one day we did take lots of pictures was our last day there. (It's always nice to take the most pictures on the day you don't shower/get ready for the day.) We previously had a couples massage scheduled at the spa for some rest and relaxation when my sweet husband did a little online surfing and found air boat tours across the everglades instead! So with some kissing up (coercing) on his part, I agreed to go. So we drove an hour and a half away from the big city hustle and bustle of the southern Florida coastline. And he assured me it would still be pretty romantic and relaxing, almost like a couples massage.

Indeed it was. As soon as I saw Bill and Robert, I knew it would be.
Robert was our driver and once I asked him to sing us a few songs, the romance really set in. It was basically the same as a gondola ride in Venice. Plus, he told us all about life on the bayou. Told us all about froggin' and fishin' and crawdaddin'.
Remember these frog hunters from the Princess and the Frog?
The similarities were uncanny. Hilarious. We sure love ya Bill and Robert! All joking aside, these kind of people (swamp people) are some of my very favorite people on the planet. I love the simplicity and pace of their lives. And they're just happy as clams.
And into the swamp we rode...
Here below is one of the eeriest sights to behold. Gave me the willies bigtime. Still does. I had somewhat of a Captain Hook reaction.
Jason got a little bold and decided to give this mama an under the chin scratchin'. And then she removed his hand. Totally worth it.
Seriously though, our driver was one crazy sombeech. He has made "friends" with just a handful of the local alligators (out of countless wild ones that reside there) and he feeds them crackers and they let him touch them. He's named them and talks to them as affectionately as anyone would their babies. He would get all skittish though when other boats would come by and told us he'd git in big truh-bo if they knew he was buddies with them gators, and added, "Aa don't know whaa." This one was the smallest one he was petting, about 6 feet long.

I was cowering and literally praying in my head the entire time... Father in Heaven... I know this man's gon' git eaten by wonna these gators sooner or later... please don't let it happen on this here trip and don't let me have to deal with the trauma of watching it. My prayers were heard and we didn't witness any alligator attacks. Bless his heart, Robert.

And look at this little baby. I'm sorry, but baby animals of any kind send me into a gushy funk. This little tyke was no exception. I thought about trying to nurse him... but then remembered he's not a mammal. And then I missed my babies. Would have been an interesting pic for national geographic though.
The husband-wife-get-aways are essential. (I-like-using-as-many-hyphens-as-possible). Even if work is the driving force behind the get-aways. Plus, when we go to the south, my husband starts to have a southern accent. And it's a real turn on. P.S. I have the greatest mother in the world who is the best grammy ever. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

P.P.S. One downside to the trip, I brought home a head cold and everything I eat tastes like cardboard. So I'm gonna go make some cardboard toast now. But don't fret, I'm still feeling very loving and lovable today. Happy Valentine's Day everyone! I hope you're celebrating big, because love is by far the greatest thing in this life. Second is probably nutella.

9 comments:

Cassi said...

I bet you could have sold that nursing alligator picture to national Geographic for millions...too bad really! ;-)

Omar and Yvette Falcon said...

lol... we Floridians look at the Everglades as the arm pit of the state. Glad to see someone is actually enjoying them :0)

Jill T said...

so glad that neither you or your guides got eaten by gators! Thanks for another great post :)

Rachel said...

i love that you went on an airboat ride! we've lived here 2 years and haven't done that (Tyler would insert the word "yet" at the end of this sentence, whereas I'm not so sold on the idea myself) You got some great photos though! Sorry it had to be rainy here last week though :-(

Leah said...

Oh that looks SOOO ROMANTIC!!! Ok, maybe not romantic but it does look like fun...Jason is lucky to have such an adventurous wife who will just roll with it! Baby Alligator was so cute too, totally understand your urge to want to feed it ;)

mike stosich said...

Haha, every post you write makes me laugh! Thanks. :)
Looking forward to the next, so hurry and post another!!

Mark and Lachelle said...

Riding down the swamp...soooo romantic! :) Your posts always crack me up! And you are one hot momma! No wonder Jason couldn't keep his hands off you at the beach ;)

Jessica and Mike Stosich said...

I just noticed that when i, (Jessica) posted a few days ago, it came up as Mike. Sorry bout that!

candicetheresa said...

I'm so happy right now that I'm seeing the photos of the famous swamp tour.