Tuesday, June 14, 2011

As of late in our house

I have Barbie girl stuck in my head. Probably mostly because I changed my husband's default ringtone to that song on his cell phone a few weeks ago and he hasn't bothered to change it back. So every time his phone rings, it's I'm a Barbie girl, in a barbie world, life in plastic, it's fantastic. He says he doesn't know how to change it back. But I seriously doubt that. I just think he kinda likes it. Plus, he hasn't insisted at all that I change it back either, even if he didn't know how. Yeah... It's settled in my mind... he likes it.

Lots of excitement happening at our house these days. So sit down and prepare yourselves for the ride of your life as I take you by the hand and tell you about some of it. You just might need a clean pair of shorts when we're through... it's just that exhilarating!

First of all, Scarlett has turned into a full blown toddler... meaning she can't be left unattended for longer than 2.5 seconds because of the Wolverine-style metal blades that emerge from her hands so she can shred the house to pieces. Charming and irresistible and getting close to being just as mischievous as her older sister... Lucy is happy to lead the way. Trust me.
This is the scene in our kitchen at least twice a day. When we have people over and they are helping to clean up after dinner and ask the innocent question, "Where can I find some tupperware for this?" I'm immediately plagued with the recent vision of me shoving every last piece of tupperware back in that blasted cupboard and hurrying to slam the doors before it all comes toppling back out. So I know they're in for it when they open those little cupboard doors. And I've resigned to no longer explain myself about this. No more, "Oh... those silly girls get into this over and over again and I just can't keep reorganizing it..." No. I'm done with it. Maybe I'll install a spring loaded boxing glove in there instead, so it's not the disarray that they're so surprised by. I've been thinkin' about that spring loaded boxing glove for some time now. Great party feature.

Tearing as many wipes out of wipe pack that she can until I get over to her. Seriously, she picks up the pace significantly once she sees I've spotted what she's doing.
Scarlett's coming of age has brought some things with it that Lucy's did not. Lucy has never been a food thrower. However, Scarlett is, to an extreme. Like, baseball pitching food throwing. It's ridiculous. The worst part, she doesn't even wait until she's full to do it. She does it all along the way just because she likes to.
And another part of this early stage of toddlerhood is the fact that "no no" or any kind of stern voice is futile as far as discipline goes... it only makes her smile and laugh.

Other happenings at our house:
So I went out to dinner for a girlfriends' birthday the other night and left Jason with the girls. I got home around 10:30, and walked into the bathroom and almost let out a blood curdling scream because I nearly stepped on this. And I felt it was someone, not something laying on the bathroom floor with my foot before I'd even turned on the light. You can imagine the adrenaline. That's Lucy, in case you can't make it out. Wrapped up in a blanket, laying face down, curled up right next to the toilet. Oh, and she's naked under there we soon discovered. When I called Jason from our bedroom, pointed her out and looked at him expectantly for an explanation, he simply said, Yeah... I thought I heard her up out of her bed and walking around the house... and that was all he said, folks. Are you being serious? So you just kept reading on your iPad in bed and thought "Oh well"? She may have set the house on fire that very night people. She might have crawled into her sister's crib and tried to suffocate her. The possibilities are endless. We were laughing as we moved her into bed, but don't think I don't lay in bed at night with my eyes peeled these days... I thought I heard someone breaking into our home at 3 AM... but I was really tired. Oh well.

Speaking of Lucy being up at night when she's supposed to be in bed, this was the disturbing scene we beheld the other night at about 10 pm when we were watching a little tele in bed.
We'd supposed she had been snoozing soundly for some time. And I'm pretty sure that's a little toy zooble she has in her hand (thank you Grammy), but it may as well be a butcher knife.

Lucy is also getting quite expressive and artistic these days. She's not even 3 yet, but her sidewalk chalk art is really taking off. That's three distinct blob figures there folks, complete with 2 eyes and a mouth on each. And the one on the right has a lot of body hair. And the one in the middle has fangs. I'd like to take a tour in that mind of hers.
Other happenings. Remember how we transformed our 4 foot tall crawl space into kid heaven last summer? I guess it's husband heaven too...
I went to put Lucy down for a nap after letting Jason know what I was doing and confirming with him, "You got Scarlett, right?" (There was an audible Yes in response). While I was in Lucy's room, I heard that shredding of the house going on that I mentioned previously in this post... I came out to find Scarlett banging on the walls with some home decor items and Jason nowhere in sight. It didn't take me long to locate him though. Poor little tyke just got too tuckered out with all those toys.
And lastly, we went and checked out Orem Summerfest this last weekend. Here's Lucy and her girlfriend Avery getting ready to go on a mini roller-coaster.

Lucy's looking pretty smug and confident (ride had not begun yet)
The scene changed pretty quickly. She yelled for us to "Get me down!!!" every single time she passed us. And then was happy as a clam again as soon as she was off.
Similar situation with the swings. Hated every minute while she and Dad were riding, but acted like it was the best thrill of her life as soon as she got down.

And Scarlett's biggest thrill of summerfest was her first encounter with corn on the cob. Like mother like daughter. This is exactly what happened the first time Jason hand-fed me my first corn on the cob on our first date.

Not so sure at first...
It's delicious...
It must be mine:

And tomorrow is my brother Jesse's birthday. He would have been 34. Jess, I wish you were here to see your nieces getting bigger. They would have you laughing a lot. But I have a feeling you still get a kick out of them from where you are. You were the best uncle. We love you brother and miss you, every day.
Thank you to all for tuning in! Happy summertime!

2 comments:

Hayley Nelson Potter said...

Great triblute to your brother, you have a good reason to be paranoid!! The picture of Jason makes me laugh.

candicetheresa said...

You weren't kidding about that ride being exhilarating! I want you to believe me when I tell you this true story: I was laughing with my abs crunched this entire post.

You haven't lost it, girl.