Monday, April 16, 2012

April Eastery bliss and much, much more.

Wow. So much to document. I never said this blogpost would be short and fast. I only said it would be worth it.

Ahem.

First of all, Jason confessed to me yesterday that he's not that into smore's. And honestly, it came as a huge blow. It's just that all of our marriage I thought it was something we had an equal obsession with. As in when it's not warm enough to roast them over a fire, I make them using the broiler. As in, late at night when the kids are sleeping, I'll look at him and rub my hands together with that maniacal look in my eye and say, "Let's get really crazy baby! Let's make smore's!" And then he told me he just doesn't care for them the same way I do. And I'm depressed about it. Gooey roasted marshmallow? Melted chocolate on graham? What's not to obsess over? I just feel like I don't really know him anymore. And it's sad. I feel like I relate a lot more to the couple on, "The Vow"... having to start again from square one. I just hope our relationship has the grit to get through this.

Anyway. I'm full term with this baby! But ya know I decided, being "full term" is kindof a trick on the psyche. Because once you hit 37 weeks it's like, "any day now!" But really, your body doesn't care when the medical professionals deem the baby as "full term" does it? It will go until it's ready. So I packed my hospital bag and cleared all the photos off the camera and charged the video camera and now I'm just sitting here staring at the wall waiting to go into labor any minute. And when you do that, it makes for a long few more weeks if that's the case. Lucy came 4 days early and Scarlett came a week early so I'm hoping it's at the most a couple more weeks I have to be pregnant. I'm ready to meet this itty girl! I'm ready to be able to sleep on my back. I'm ready to lose the waddle. I'm ready to eat to my heart's content and not fill up after 3 bites. I'm ready for my back and hips to stop their moanin' and groanin'. I'm ready for the 2 day hospital stay where I ring a bell and they bring me whatever I want. Pain medication? No problem. Mani/Pedi? Comin' right up. King crab legs and drawn butter? Right away. Shopping spree when you get your bod back? Done and done.

The anticipation of having another baby is really quite thrilling. I'm sad it only happens in life for a relatively small window of time, even though from what I hear when you're done with that window, you know you're really done and you're ready to be done with it. But still, wondering when go time will be, wondering what she'll look like, wondering what we'll name her, (still up in the air), wondering what this round of L&D will bring. I know babies come into the world every single day all over the world, but it's a big huge earth shaking deal when it's yours.

Phew. Okay. Let's get to it already. April is half way through and the first half has been busy. We headed down to St. George for Easter weekend because Jason entered himself into a triathlon with these two fellow studs. They love each other a lot.
Look at the three of 'em... in their wee little swim shorts gettin' ready for their swims. What peaches. That's Mervis (AKA Curtis), Jason and Dave. BFFs forever. As in, BFFF.

However I decided I'm over being a triathlete's wife for the time. He can do as many as he'd like but I just can't be as supportive and super-fanish as I've been. As in, waking up at 5:30 AM, dragging my tiny kids out of bed and into the freezing cold car (it was 34 degrees that morning), taking him to where he needs to be and waiting so I can take pics as he's swan diving into the water and running around like a mad woman with both children in tow so I can take pictures at every transition and scream his name. I think I've paid my dues in that department; I've done it a lot. But this time was the breaking point. The double jogging stroller wasn't working so I had to carry both girls like 5 blocks to the aquatic center in 34 degrees with them both crying over the cold (remember 9 months pregnant here). And then I would tell you what happened next, but I don't want to taint your opinion of me because I'm such a prim and proper lady, but let's just say it involved breaking into a sweat and making a serious haul to the restroom, shoving people out of my way and into the water as I ran, and dragging my two little girls with me every step. And do your kids have an obsession with unlocking bathroom stalls and opening the doors as much as mine do? Pregnancy takes a toll in so many ways. So many humiliating and shameful ways.

This is the crew of champions that made it all worth it though. Love each and every one of them so much.
And these champions:
Chad, Anais, Ashlyn and Trevor

And my favorite part was afterward how Julie and Katie and I were so wasted from taking pictures of the boys doing a triathlon that we got to rest at the condo while they went and picked lunch up for us. And how sore I was the rest of the weekend from hauling our kids around (including the third inutero)... so I had to ask Jason for several massages... I'm so sore from Saturday morning babe... it just really wore me out.

We enjoyed delicious Mexican food one of the nights we were there... Jason had dropped me off at the door to put our name in and so he could park the car, so you can imagine my surprise upon finding our vehicle like this. That's right, in a ditch. Pretty much completely high centered on the curb. It's a long story, but after lots of burning rubber, spinning tires going nowhere, some playing bumper cars with the car parked behind us, and some good earnest prayer we made it out of there. And left a nasty note on the car behind us while we were at it, I mean really? Learn how to park!
Which reminds me of a story that happened when Jason and I were first married. I stopped by his office one day (probably just to tell him how much I love him) and when I was leaving the parking lot I decided to leave a nasty note on his car as a joke. It said something like, "Learn how to park, blankity blank." He was parked perfectly I might add. I thought I was so funny. I spent the whole day reveling in my cleverness and waiting for him to walk through the door, all exasperated, dying to tell me about some jerk who left an obscene note on his car, and then I could comfort him and tell him, I'm sorry baby... your parking is excellent. He walked in the door and you can imagine my dismay when he was chipper as ever, whistling his merry little tune. After 15 minutes of chit chatting about the day, and some digging on my part (so, nothing interesting happened today?) I finally broke down and said, "NO ONE LEFT A NASTY NOTE ON YOUR CAR???" And then he said, "Oh yeah... someone did. I didn't think much of it, but now I'm guessing that was you?" It was honestly the most anticlimactic moment of my life up until that point. I didn't even do my cheesy, "Gotcha!!!" that I'd been practicing all day. And that's when I vowed, right then and there, to plant a pipe bomb in his office.

The next morning was Easter morning! Except we didn't take very many pictures because the girls got into a scuffle first thing and we almost cancelled Easter and this year's Christmas too. Scarlett pulled Lucy's hair and Lucy...well... almost bit Scarlett's face off. Literally. She is lucky dad was the one to handle it because he was in the room with them, even though discipline from dad is much less frequent and much more terrifying. She almost got punted into the next life by her pregnant mother. I almost shredded off all my clothes and went Incredible Hulk on her. Nothing makes me want to be a child abuser like biting. Not kidding.
Yup. Check those teeth marks out on that little face. Perfect for Easter pictures. I couldn't even look at Scarlett's little cheek without swelling up with rage that whole day.
Good news is, we got to have a long talk about making mistakes, repentance and forgiveness and how the Savior makes it all possible. And Scarlett ran into Lucy and gave her a huge hug while she was in exile and Jason and I both got all teary-eyed. Turns out Lucy staged the whole thing to help us focus on the real meaning of Easter and to help us not get caught up in the Easter Bunny stuff. She's so funny that girl.

The rest of the day was simply glorious. We had a delicious traditional Christensen breakfast prepared by moi and my husband (eggs-a-la-golden-rod) and headed to church. Then we went over to the Brigham Young home (historical site) and from there went over to walk the temple grounds. The weather was simply sublime. The company even better.

Except my belly was hanging out the bottom of my shirt the entire day and I didn't realize until after a couple hours of flashing strangers the great white. You think you're safe wearing parachutes, but no one is safe. And Dave finds pregnant women particularly abhorrent. Couldn't look at me all weekend without dry heaving. He didn't even know Jason was snapping this pic.
Scarlett's going through a weird licking phase. And hey, her dad thinks it's hilarious and adorable so why wouldn't she?
At the temple. There's something so spectacular about that St. George temple. I love it.
Lucy's favorite part of Easter was that night when she received her very own home made chocolate bunny... compliments of Aunt Katie. I told her it was too late to dig into it, put her to bed, and then we promptly broke those bunnies down and made smore's with them. Delicious. You rock my world Katie girl!
So we said farewell to our beloved friends and the Christensen clan headed south to Phoenix because Jason had some business to attend to. We took a detour on Monday to go to the skywalk at the Grand Canyon. And we do have a picture somewhere of all of us on the actual skywalk, but we had to purchase it. (You can't take your own cameras onto it. Something about the fragility of the glass... really?? Yet it can stand a 8.5 earthquake and hundreds of tubalards walking out onto it daily. The good news is, the pictures you can purchase from them are only $5,000 a piece. I haven't finished unpacking everything but that pic is floating around here somewhere...) I'd say it was pretty awesome, but in order to get there you have to drive like 20 miles on the windiest, bumpiest gravel road (which takes approximately two hours) so I wouldn't recommend it if you're 9 months pregnant. I was screaming about the contractions and my water breaking and things like, YOU DID THIS TO ME!!! at Jason the entire drive, but it turns out I wasn't close to being in labor afterall. Phew.
After a 12 hour day (detour took a LOT longer than anticipated) we arrived safely at my sister's house, and she promptly greeted us, got the ice packs out and began massaging my sausage feet. Literally no bones or tendons visible in those feet that night. Being at your big sissy's house is blissful.

Sadly, this is the only pic I got from our 3 day stay there, because I came down with the stomach flu or something the next day. Yeah. Pretty awesome.

Look at that Lucia and cousin Isaiah. haha. I love it.
Thank you for taking such good care of me Bepty boodle! You are some kind of wonderful!

Heading out of Phoenix we had car trouble. (Probably residual effect of aforementioned parking job in St. George.) So we took her in and were set back 4 or 5 hours and ended up only making it to Vegas that night instead of home. So we made lemonade out of it. The buffet at the Wynn was great (my husband LOVES a good buffet. Nobody mess with him and his buffets!) Scarlett spotting the table of friendly Asian guys next to us laughing at her while hoovering her ice-cream may have been my favorite part of the night. She stared at them like this for a good 6 or 7 minutes, wondering what was so funny.

And finally, some more sister shots of a couple other Easter dresses I couldn't resist. I was in a much more amiable mood for a photo shoot the following Sunday since the scarring was almost completely gone.
Delectable. Simply delectable. I love little girls. And yes we do have a tiny matching yellow dress for baby sister. I just can't help myself.

And better late than never, we painted eggs. The girls were thrilled. And I chuckled to myself the entire time Dad was doing the eggs with them, because I could just calmly make dinner and listen to, "Don't touch that! You'll break it!"... and "If you can't be good listeners we're putting the eggs away!" roughly 74 times in one hour. Happy family memories. Love these three so much.
And lastly... a sidenote here... Scarlett is officially a nose-picker. And we don't know what to do about it. It's disgusting. But she doesn't seem to get how socially unacceptable it is. Because it's become a constant thing for her. Lucy never had this affinity for her nose. But Scarlett does, and it's only one nostril she prefers. And it seems like she goes for it every time a stranger walks up and starts talking to her about how cute she is. It's like she's just keeping herself humble or something. Disturbing.

She does it everywhere. Like when sitting with dad:
Or standing all alone:
Or overlooking the grand canyon:
Or painting Easter eggs:
Any tips?

Loves to all, thanks for reading about our lives. I told you it would be worth it, especially the nose picking part. Countdown for baby girl #3 has officially begun. Keep you posted.

2 comments:

Cassi said...

Reading your post makes me happy...which is something that is much needed when your hubby has been gone for 2 weeks and won't be home for another 1.

PS You, me, s'mores anytime baby!

Eric & Aimei Phillips said...

It's funny, Eric just did the same thing to me about crab cheese wontons...I was so excited to make them for us and he sheepishly said, 'You know, I don't really care for them.' Our marriage is hanging on by a thread...and thanks to your hatred of biting...Max has never turned into a biter after that one time with Lucy!