Monday, June 11, 2012

Summa Summa Summa ta-eeme.

Wanna know what's really sad? I only posted 16 days ago but I started to type in my blog address into the my browser and it didn't automatically pull it up! I had to type in every last letter of my own blog. I don't think that's ever happened! Guess I haven't been back to this blog since the day I posted but really, 16 days of absence will do that?! That's never happened before! 

So, if you've been exerting a lot of mental energy trying to remember exactly how many weeks old our newest addition is; if you've been pacing in your house trying to count the weeks on your fingers and getting all mixed up about it in the process, I will put that to rest right now. Isla is 6 weeks old.
We try to take advantage of the newbie stage and go to movies when we can get sitters for the older sisters because their just so portable. She loved The Avengers. But last night we snuck Isla in again to the theater and it was not a pleasant experience. How is she already past the sleep through any and everything stage? I wanted to cry. Plus, Snow White and the Huntsman is such a peaceful movie. We thought it would really soothe her. Just kidding. 

*Snow white and the Huntsman was... It was.. I don't know. I have lots of opinion about it but I don't want to spoil it for anyone so I'll wait to divulge. I'm a closet lover of fantasy/magical/mythical movies. So I was stoked about this one. But I decided that I'm not Kristen Stewart's biggest fan and that Chris Hemsworth is much hotter as the norse god of thunder than he is as a huntsman.  I wanted to have as big of a crush on him as I did the last movie I saw with him. But it just wasn't happening. So I'm pretty much over him altogether. And those two (Stewart and Hemsworth) have zero chemistry, Really, zero. I'll write more on that after I give a few more of you a chance to see it if you want to. If you don't want to see it, call me and I'll tell you everything I liked and didn't like from A to Z.*

Okay back on track. Isla. She is emerging from her newborn cacoon and I hate it but she also slept for 6 hours straight last night so I love it too. She's an absolute dream. We love each other a lot, she and I. Look how alert and non newbie she looks. She's even starting to half smile.
Ok she still looks pretty new in this one. I have to look at her snoozing whenever I'm about to threaten to ground her for not doing her chores. Sweet angel. I swoon.
One thing I forget about every round of new baby is my nursing appetite. I'm stuffing my face left and right my entire pregnancy with whatever I can get my mitts on and I have all these big plans for as soon as I pop this puppy of how controlled and disciplined I will be. But I always forget how I'm the exact same when I'm nursing. I'm always like, "What is going on with me?! Why am I eating so much?" And of course I'm way more sensitive about it once the child is out of me. It's like when I'm big and pregnant I know there's a human being inside and so all the weigh gain is fine and dandy. And then the minute I'm home from the hospital I step onto the scale and am so alarmed and it's likeI don't know what's going on anymore. I have tried several times to put on my small jeans during these past 6 weeks and I immediately think, "Uh oh! these must have severely shrunk in the dryer! Dang it!" I need more patience with myself to get back to normal. I'm not an obsessor at all about weight. I just keep forgetting I had a baby not too long ago. True amnesia. 

Speaking of getting back to normal, I hope no one thinks that just because Isla is 6 weeks old that I should start getting ready for the day and go to the gym and volunteering for service projects and stuff. Because in reality it takes me about 6+ months to get back to "normal". Whatever normal means.

Jason is on a really strict no junk/sugar eating plan right now. And he's working out like a fool. He's looking fabulous. He started this regimen when I was 38 weeks pregnant. Marriage is such a funny thing. Funny haha and funny strange sometimes. We went and picked up take-out food the other day with our friends Julie and Merv (Good earth- see? He's serious about health food) and went to a park to have a picnic. And I got a rice bowl and he got a turkey avo wrap. But mine wasn't very good and his wrap looked a lot better. (This is a usual routine for us. His always looks better.) But I know better than to ask him to share his food with me because when he is eating so disciplined and he finds something healthy he really enjoys (which he does this wrap), you had better keep your hands to yourself if you don't want to lose a finger. Well, there we were sitting merrily at the park with some of our favorite people on earth watching our girls play. He ate most of his wrap, put the last few bites back into the to-go box it came in along with his crumpled up napkin and then he left our blanket and went to chase the girls around the park playground. I have to emphasize crumpled up napkin because had it not been thrown into the container with the last few bites of his food, I never would have dared to poach. But obviously, as anyone would, I suspected he was finished. So not wanting to waste food, I reached over and snagged the last couple of bites of his wrap while he was playing with the girls. Julie and I were sitting there solving the worlds problems wrapped up in riveting conversation and my rice bowl was lacking serious sodium, so I ate the rest of his wrap when I assumed he didn't want anymore. So sue me. 

Except then he came back to rejoin us on the blanket and I spied him out of the corner of my eye grab his box and open it back up to apparently finish his wrap. And I started to panic. Beads of sweat broke out onto my forehead and back. One he looked down and realized what had happened, the smoke started shooting from his ears and horns emerged from his forehead.  He was fuming! Seriously angry. And he was like, "Do I have to say 123 save for me?! Every time I leave my food unattended around you?!" which was harsh but understandable if he was really looking forward to finishing up his delicious wrap when he sat back down. And there I sat (me and my nursing appetite and my post baby love handles), being scolded by my husband, with the sauce from his wrap smeared all over my chin, looking guilty and shifty eyed back and forth between him, Julie and Mervis. It was awkward. And embarrassing. And I almost started to cry. And then the hurt feelings turned into rage in a matter of 1.7 seconds, which happens to me 99.9% of the time I have hurt feelings. Usually at this point I will start spewing ridiculousness like, "Do you know how many guys would LOVE to share their turkey-avo wrap with me?" (Umm yeah I'm pretty sure you have to put your name on a waiting list to let a mother of three hoover some of your food) or, "Remember how much upper hand I had when we started dating?! Don't you forget it!" which is about as effective as a mother of teenage daughters listening in on her daughters' conversation about boys and coming in to say, "Ya know, it wasn't that long ago that I was a teenie bopper myself. And boy, was I hot-to-trot."

In fact, indulge me here. Let's just revel for a moment in those days when I had the upper hand. Back when I didn't have to share any hand because I was footloose and fancy free mission bound. When he used to share food with me. Those were the days. Oh man if I could just go back. I'd take state.
 This must have been, "Take your kid sister's little-filly-of-a-roommate to work day".

However. Instead of starting to ramble something laughable like that, I thought I would start trying to light heartedly joke around about how awesome marriage is when it morphs into a brother/sister relationship. Because brothers and sisters fight all the time over food. And imagining Jason being so upset with me for having a few bites of his food while he was courting me and how I would have thought he was a rageaholic weirdy and probably would have ended it. I was imagining us on our second or third date sitting across from each other flirting and having a getting-to-know-you conversation at Olive Garden or something and right after he tells me his greatest flaw is probably spending too much time doing volunteer work, I reach across and say, "Oooh that looks good! Can I try it?" and I snag a bite of his pasta. And then his eyes suddenly start glowing red and he's like, "What the @#$% was that?! What the @#$% did you just do?!?! Do NOT eat MY FOOD, do you understand?? You order what you want, and I'll order what I want. You don't see me eating your food do you? DO YOU!??!" and I'd be sitting there all quivering and terrified and there'd be a real awkward moment of silence and then he'd be all, "So, what's one of your greatest life goals?" So I was painting this picture for all of us sitting there on our blanket and Julie and Mervis were laughing and I was fake laughing but really secretly annoyed and Jason wasn't fake laughing at all. He was just sitting there like Cold Stone Steve Austin... And I continued, "I mean, can you imagine reacting like that to someone you were dating?! Oh man! Barrel of laughs!" And then he said, "We. are. not. dating." And then stood up to go play with the girls some more. Except as he was walking away, I stuck my foot out and tripped him, causing him to fall flat on his face. Then he pinned me down onto my back, holding my arms down and hawked a loogie and suspended it from his mouth in mid-air threatening to let it fall onto my face.  And I screamed and kicked and flailed trying to buck him off of me, calling him bad names and yelling, "You're so dead! I'm so telling Dad!!!" and that was that. 

I'll let you decide when that story went from fact over to embellishment. See how fun reading my blog is? It's basically a choose your own adventure book. You get to decide what's reality and what's in my mind. (Hint: first 80% of story is reality. Will you share your turkey-avo wrap with me?) 

Ahem. Anyway, our summer so far is full of lots of great things. Like sporting the outfits Grandma brought us home from China: 
 -and terrorizing our baby sister whenever and wherever possible: 
(Let's take a closer look at Isla's little face when she bathes and hears her sisters voices in very close proximity:)
I think she hears the music from jaws whenever Lucy's hand sneaks in there.

-And collecting roley-poley bugs in flower beds over taken by weeds:
-And collecting snakes in the woods behind our house:
                                                      -And riding ponies:
 -And posing for a photo shoot first thing in the morning with the world's greatest bed head:
 -And lots of diaper changing: (Lots and lots and lots of diapers. Everywhere I turn. Thank goodness I have some help from my 3 year old.) 
 So far, this summer is treating us quite excellently. Stay tuned. Xoxo. XXxxOxOO. (big kiss, little hug, little kiss, little hug. Big kiss, big kiss, little kiss, little kiss, big hug, little kiss, big hug, big hug.)

4 comments:

Cassi said...

I have to say Caleb and I have the same issues with food...however its me he knows not to mess with. I'm like Joey on friends, I don't share food. I have to clarify though because I do like to share desserts if everybody gets their own and passes them around. And I'm not super stingy if we're out with friends and they want to try a bite but don't you dare think I'm gonna share my whole plate with you ;-) I think I need to work on sharing!

candicetheresa said...

Im in love with you. I don't know if I'd share my food, but I'm definitely in love. Haven't read a blog post from anyone for like a year and so enjoyed reading your post just now. Love. Hurt my delicate body to laugh but loved. I'll call soon.

Leah said...

I just love you! You and Jason crack me up!! He's as serious about his food as I am! ;)

I am even more hungry when I'm nursing than when I'm prego. Glad I'm not alone. Seriously I didn't just have a baby and I have A LOT of work ahead of me to lose this baby weight :P

Isla is such a beautiful baby!! I think she looks a lot like Scarlett, no? They grow WAY WAY too fast. Holland is almost 5 months. Seriously.

Derek and Christi said...

Congrats on your new baby and another funny blog post! The most extrodinary thing to me, is seeing your girls holding snakes!!!