Ok everyone, I've had lot's of emails from friends asking about our whole experience so I will fill you all in with all the goods! Let me first say that we are unbelievably happy she is here. Elated, ecstatic and completely and utterly OBSESSED WITH HER. Many of you have been there and are there right now so I know you understand. For those of you who aren't yet, oh my goodness what you have in store for you. I won't attempt to put into words the feelings that came along with this little one, what it feels like to hold her and feel her tiny warm body against mine. I won't try to tell you how overwhelming these past two days have been each time she fusses and I know she wants me! Wow I am choking up as I sit here as I type this! All I know is that these feelings are not of this world. They couldn't be. They are too divine for this world. We are humbled and so thankful to have this marvelous opportunity.
I guess it all started on Tuesday. Can't believe that was only 3 days ago. We went to our 39 week doctor's appointment Tuesday morning, and I was pretty excited because the few days previous I had really felt like I was progressing. I was having contractions more often and they were getting more intense, and I don't know I just felt like my body was really getting ready for it. We were pretty disappointed when doc said even though I was 100% effaced and everything else was in position, I hadn't dilated any more since the previous week, still only at a 1 1/2 cm. ugh. "I know you don't wanna hear this but most first babies go past their due dates." (This was on the 22nd, our due date is tomorrow the 26th.) Disappointed though not desperate, we made our appointment for the following week (which would have been this coming monday) and said we would talk about inducing me then.
Well that was fine. Jason had a canoeing trip planned for Tuesday afternoon with the priests quorum in our ward that he was looking forward to and my mom was still in Idaho. There was still plenty I could do around the house so we were fine with it. I told Jason to go ahead on the evening's adventure, and called my mom and told her I wouldn't be having the baby any time soon so she could take her time making her way down.
A few hours went by, I was just doing laundry and cleaning the house and I was REALLY cramping. I called Jason and told him, "It's not like I'm gonna have her tonight I just don't really feel comfortable with you possibly being out of cell phone service and not being able to reach you." So he said if I felt like that he didn't need to go and he would be home a little later.
So there I was just minding my own business loading the dishes when suddenly I feel this little surge of warm water. Gosh that's weird what was that? I go and check things out and wonder... but it's not much so I just figure whatever... probably nothing. Well, within seconds, I was a lot more wet and beyond the point of curiosity and wondering and to the point of my eyes filling with tears. As I'm standing there in our bathroom like a deer in headlights unable to move I hear Jason come in and I start yelling his name. He comes in and I say, "I think my water just broke." haha I will forever have engrained in my mind the look on his face as his eyes bugged out of his head and got a little misty at the same time. "Are you sure??"
I called my doctor's office and told them what happened and she said, "You need to go over to labor and delivery right now." Wow what an adrenaline rush to hear those words! Is this really happening? Are we really having the baby?! It was the best! So exciting! We hustled around, got the bags we had packed into the car, got the car seat and within minutes we were parking at the hospital. It was so surreal. I felt like someone was going to suddenly tell me I was on candid camera or punked or something at any moment. This didn't really look like the way they showed it in the movies so maybe it wasn't for real afterall.
I was officially in labor for 12 hours, from the time my water broke to the time she was born. The first part was definitely the most trying. They immediately put me on pitocin and the contractions started coming, regularly and intensely. However, for some reason I still was not dilating. They didn't want to give me the epidural until I was dilated further, so I had a good 5 hours of hard contractions before the relief came. Wow, can I just say I almost kissed that anesthesiologist right on the mouth? I did in fact tell him, "I love you." He patted me on the head and started to laugh. Those 5 hours were the most physically grueling of my life. The contractions were 2 1/2 to 3 minutes apart and getting harder and longer with each passing minute. I started feeling like a caged animal, panic set in every time I felt one coming on. There's absolutely nothing you can do to help yourself, nor position you can get yourself into that might ease them. But once that blessed blessed epi was in place, I was good to go! I sorta felt like I was suffering from multiple personalities. All the sudden my sparkling personality came rushing back and it was like I'd been gone for a little while but was ready to rejoin the party! Jason suffered alone with me for the worst of it... my mom rushed down in a panic as fast as she could from Idaho Falls and made it to the hospital by about 10:00, just after I'd recieved the epidural. (I'm so grateful you made it, mama!) Before I knew it I was dilated to a 10 and the nurse was telling me we're gonna get ready to start pushing. 35 minutes of pushing and voila! Out she came, the most perfect little creature I'd ever seen. Her cry was the most glorious sound to break into that room.
We are home now. She has been sleeping a lot...shocking behavior for a new born, I know. I'm obviously sore in ways I'd never dreamed of, but the experience was so much better than I ever could have imagined. It was nowhere near as bad as the horror stories I have heard. There was a serenity in that room with us throughout the process. There weren't 12 nurses running around yelling at each other like in the movies. It was just one nurse, my doctor, Jason and my mother. There was no panic. I feel like we were very fortunate. Regardless of what the experience was, I know it still would have been completely worth it. It was a very spiritual experience for us. What does the Lord have in store for this little Lucy? What will become of her life? What challenges lie ahead for her? What lessons will be the most difficult for her to learn? Oh I just want to hold her in my arms forever and ever and never ever let go. Right this minute, I don't even want to think about watching her grow up! I just want her to stay just like this forever.









28 comments:
I can't believe her eyes are already opened and so aware for being so young. She is beautiful. I LOVE HER NAME. I know I don't know you very well, but have always liked you so so much. Congratulations. Just hold her as much as you can because she will grow fast (and hopefully she will be around for a long time for you to enjoy, but if not, you will be so glad you held her as much as possible). Welcome, Lucia.
I am so glad you didn't have to share any horror stories with us. I am so happy for you enjoy every minute. Time flies by way to fast. Love ya!
Thank you so much for your beautiful post! It was such a huge blessing for me to read that right now. It made me laugh and cry, and most importantly, it made me remember why I am doing this! Thanks for reminding me what a privilege it is to bring a child into this world. It really means a lot! Lucia is so lucky to have you.
OH I am so so happy for you guys! I'm so glad everything went smoothly for you... She is DARLING. Andy and I want to come see her whenever you are feeling up for visitors!!
CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Oh I want to cry reading this post! I'm so glad you told the story! I love all the details. A total rush when your water breaks huh? I'm so glad you had a great experience. It totally is a miracle- giving life!! And Lucy is beautiful...I think she looks like a good mix of the two of you, but I don't know what either of you looked like as babies. Anyways, best of luck for the first few days at home getting your schedule sorted. You're going to be an amazing mother. Lucy is blessed to have both of you as parents. Congrats again- we're just absolutely thrilled for you guys!.
Congratulations--she is absolutely beautiful! It was so fun reading your account of the whole experience--it made me remember how exciting it was when Izabella was born--the love that you feel is something that is really hard to describe but you did a fantastic job! I'm so happy for you guys!
I love reading first time parents birth stories, it truly is the best thing on earth.
She is so beautiful!!! I am so glad everything went so well!
Welcome to the world baby Lucy! It really is impossible to put into words what it is like to hold your baby in your arms for the first time. We are so happy for you. Lucia is beautiful!
oh.. we couldn't be more excited and happy for you guys! what a lucky little girl lucy is!! and how lucky you both are to have such a sweet, darling, perfect person join your family. it was so fun to "re-live" the experience with you through this little post.. you're such a cute writer.. just a cute person in so many ways! i can't wait to see her. hope you are feeling so well.
i'm so proud right now. :)
must be this pregnancy hormones but i feel like crying my eyes out. i absoloutely CAN NOT wait for this moment. thank you so much for sharing with us! i love you and miss you and wish i could be there to hold that little lucia!
hOORAY!!! WE'RE SO HAPPY FOR YOU GUYS! we can't wait to meet little Lucy! I'm glad that everything went better than you had hoped. I told the anesthesologist that I loved him too :-). congratulations! call us if we can do anything for you!
so i stumbled across your blog ... i'll admit it, i have a job that allows me to be a blog stalker ... can i just say that you look amazing for having just had a baby!! lucky girl!
Meradith, this post was so amazing. I was a bit worried about what labor would bring your way, especially after your class. Thank you for sharing. Little Lucy is beyond beautiful. The picture of you holding her is priceless; you can just see the relief/love/excitement/pure joy in your eyes. Once again, congratulations!
Your description of labor and delivery was actually comforting for me on some level. I've never had anyone just explain it to me before. Thanks for the heads up! Anyway, I think she's beautiful and am so excited to continue reading up on her brand new little life (and your brand new little life!).
Meraboo... LOVED seeing little Luc and her beautiful momma yesterday.. there is just something really special about snuggling a baby that is just a few days old... :) loved it and love you guys! so proud of ya! I loved her little nose and thought she had the cutest profile!
I can relate to your feelings, they are little miracles. Congratulations!
Oh how sweet to be a mother! Congratulations! I am so glad to see everyone is healthy and happy. Cherish those first few weeks since they will fly by and before you know, you will have a 9 week old! Congrats again on the beautiful babe. She must take after her mom!
I was so thrilled to get your email and now to read your posting on Lucy's arrival. What tender words you posted! Thanks for sharing the experience and the feelings you are experiencing at this most amazing time in your life. Of course, she's gorgeous. With two amazingly beautiful parents inside and out - she can't go wrong. I'm so happy for your little family and wish you all the blessings life has in store for you. Penny W.
I love it! She is so adorable! Thanks for sharing all the fun insights. This time is so special. Congrats!
Mera-
I love you and your adorable family! You three are so blessed and I can't wait to see little Lucy in a 8 days! She is so precious and I am so happy everything was just wonderful. Call me soon when you can talk...I will understand though if it's not until she's 6 months:) Time flies when you have a sweetheart in your arms!
LOVE you guys and GOOD WORK!!
You have the most beautiful baby girl! She is sweet!! And I loved your story, thanks for sharing. Your blog is the cutest stinkin blog I've ever seen! Those pics of you and Jason are fantastic! Seriously, you two are beautiful people. Miss you!
Love, Tiffany Godfrey
OH man she is gorgeous. She is so precious. I teared up just reading your story cause it took me back to my experience. It's just undescribable. SHE IS SO BEAUTIFUL. Not all babies look that pretty that early, she is so cute and sweet. Its so amazing huh.
If you haven't already read this book you NEED to go get it, it makes your life SO MUCH EASIER and BETTER
Its called "The baby Whisperer" I think by Linda Blau and Tracy Hogg.
Or I have heard "Baby Wise" Is almost identical to it. ANYWAYS
CONGRATS!!!
She is the cutest thing in the world!! Can't wait to come hold her again! We are so so happy for you guys! You were looking and doing so good right after everything i couldn't believe it you are quite the trooper! If you need help with anything.. more treats please don't hesitate to call!
Congrats! That's so exciting. I'm crying now too! That was such a sweet recap and more reason for me to go for the epi. :)
I love it. I love it all. She is absolutely beautiful. Loved hearing your story. I must come see her soon!
I wanted to come back and look at little Lucia when she was born. Oh how adorable she is!
Post a Comment