Jason proposed to me two years ago today. Sometimes I don’t think that he had any idea of what he was getting himself into. “Will you marry me?” What a question. Four simple words but what magnitude and power they carry. Will you share the rest of your life and eternity with me? Will you bear my burdens with me and allow me to bear yours today and forever? Will you trust me wholly and completely with every single aspect of your life? Will you give yourself to me in each and every way that is possible to give? Will you surrender all your walls and barriers and let yourself be completely vulnerable to me? Will you have all my children and raise them with me? Will you be my permanent roommate, my business partner, my pupil and my mentor, my nurse, my cook and sometimes my maid, and most loyal ally and confidant? Will you be willing to make compromises and sacrifices and allow yourself to change forever for the benefit of this relationship?
What a question.
Some of you know this story but I’m going to tell it anyway. I love it. I happen to think it’s the best proposal story of all time, all bias aside:) Two years ago today we were in Kauai. My parents were living in Hawaii at the time, on Oahu, so we had been there for a few days but decided to hop on a plane to Kauai to see that island for a couple of days. Jason and I had talked about getting married and had browsed at rings but I had no idea he had it already and that he was planning to pop the question while we were there. We had just flown in that morning. Little did I know Jason had asked my dad earlier that morning for my hand. To this day he claims it was the “most awkward conversation of my life.” haha that’s a whole other story, pretty funny. We rented a jeep, went to the hotel where we were staying, dropped off our things… and I was ready to lay beachside and relax. Jason had other plans. We decided to take a drive up to the North shore. Kauai is UNREAL. They filmed Jurassic Park there, and it really is one of the more jungly and tropical islands. The drive was amazing, perfect temperature with the top of the jeep down. That smell that only Hawaii has, those of you who’ve been. Plumeria and the ocean. So we pulled in and Jason says he wants to go hiking. Jason is all about the ten milers or so and I’m gonna be honest I was less than thrilled at this point… telling him I’d rather be basking in the sun and relaxing. Plus the only shoes I had were gleaming white brand new Nikes and I didn’t want to get them dirty. True story. Despite my petitions, we were going.
Off we went up this trail through the thickest greenery. It was a decent incline for the first little while but I think being slightly annoyed that we weren't lounging poolside was a benefit for me because my competitiveness kicked in and I didn’t want him gaining on me. So I had no problem hauling up that mountain. It was so beautiful. Shortly after, I lost my attitude and was so glad we were there. The trail went out all along the coast and was absolutely breath-taking. (The trail was indeed muddy but I hiked with precision and care the whole time and actually kept my shoes fairly gleaming white, for those of you who were worried.) After about two miles we hiked down onto this beach and decided to play around for a while. There were other people on the trail but when we went down onto the beach we were the only ones there. It was about 5:00 by this point…We swam in the ocean. There was a cruise ship on the horizon. It could not have been more perfect. We got out and dry off a little and Jason says he wants to set the video camera up on one of the rocks and film us, “We don’t have any of the both of us together on tape.” I don’t think much of it. Well he sets up the camera, takes my hand and leads me away from it a few feet. He’s not saying ANYTHING and I start to bug him, “What. What is it? What’s on your mind? What’s going on?” still not picking up on what he’s about to do. I just could tell there was something he wasn’t telling me. He just keeps kissing me and finally drops to one knee. “I wanted to ask you if you’d marry me,” as he pulled out the ring box and opened it up. I’ll never forget his face as I looked down at him completely stunned. I dropped to my knees myself, told him yes and we shared an unbelievably emotional, magical, unforgettable moment together.
The sun was setting behind us and we knew we had to hike back to the car in daylight so we had to hurry. That hike back was something else. I couldn’t have cared less about my shoes. I was clumsy as ever on our way back, could not stop staring at my left hand. I was lucky not to twist an ankle or something. It started lightly raining. It was getting darker by the second. We made it to the car, both soaking from the rain and sweat. History was changed that day. Our lives would never be the same. What a wonderful question to ask. Most wonderful thing anyone has ever asked me.
What a question.
Some of you know this story but I’m going to tell it anyway. I love it. I happen to think it’s the best proposal story of all time, all bias aside:) Two years ago today we were in Kauai. My parents were living in Hawaii at the time, on Oahu, so we had been there for a few days but decided to hop on a plane to Kauai to see that island for a couple of days. Jason and I had talked about getting married and had browsed at rings but I had no idea he had it already and that he was planning to pop the question while we were there. We had just flown in that morning. Little did I know Jason had asked my dad earlier that morning for my hand. To this day he claims it was the “most awkward conversation of my life.” haha that’s a whole other story, pretty funny. We rented a jeep, went to the hotel where we were staying, dropped off our things… and I was ready to lay beachside and relax. Jason had other plans. We decided to take a drive up to the North shore. Kauai is UNREAL. They filmed Jurassic Park there, and it really is one of the more jungly and tropical islands. The drive was amazing, perfect temperature with the top of the jeep down. That smell that only Hawaii has, those of you who’ve been. Plumeria and the ocean. So we pulled in and Jason says he wants to go hiking. Jason is all about the ten milers or so and I’m gonna be honest I was less than thrilled at this point… telling him I’d rather be basking in the sun and relaxing. Plus the only shoes I had were gleaming white brand new Nikes and I didn’t want to get them dirty. True story. Despite my petitions, we were going.
Off we went up this trail through the thickest greenery. It was a decent incline for the first little while but I think being slightly annoyed that we weren't lounging poolside was a benefit for me because my competitiveness kicked in and I didn’t want him gaining on me. So I had no problem hauling up that mountain. It was so beautiful. Shortly after, I lost my attitude and was so glad we were there. The trail went out all along the coast and was absolutely breath-taking. (The trail was indeed muddy but I hiked with precision and care the whole time and actually kept my shoes fairly gleaming white, for those of you who were worried.) After about two miles we hiked down onto this beach and decided to play around for a while. There were other people on the trail but when we went down onto the beach we were the only ones there. It was about 5:00 by this point…We swam in the ocean. There was a cruise ship on the horizon. It could not have been more perfect. We got out and dry off a little and Jason says he wants to set the video camera up on one of the rocks and film us, “We don’t have any of the both of us together on tape.” I don’t think much of it. Well he sets up the camera, takes my hand and leads me away from it a few feet. He’s not saying ANYTHING and I start to bug him, “What. What is it? What’s on your mind? What’s going on?” still not picking up on what he’s about to do. I just could tell there was something he wasn’t telling me. He just keeps kissing me and finally drops to one knee. “I wanted to ask you if you’d marry me,” as he pulled out the ring box and opened it up. I’ll never forget his face as I looked down at him completely stunned. I dropped to my knees myself, told him yes and we shared an unbelievably emotional, magical, unforgettable moment together.
The sun was setting behind us and we knew we had to hike back to the car in daylight so we had to hurry. That hike back was something else. I couldn’t have cared less about my shoes. I was clumsy as ever on our way back, could not stop staring at my left hand. I was lucky not to twist an ankle or something. It started lightly raining. It was getting darker by the second. We made it to the car, both soaking from the rain and sweat. History was changed that day. Our lives would never be the same. What a wonderful question to ask. Most wonderful thing anyone has ever asked me.
6 comments:
Oh that is super romantic, what a cute couple!!
Such a sweet story! And you ring is just to die for! I absolutely love it!
how sweet! i love that story!
i had no idea you guys got engaged in hawaii!!! thats my #1 "wanted vacation"! what an awesome story to be able to tell for the rest of your lives! i was "blogging" at work today and when i looked at your blog, one of the girls i was working with was looking with me and when she saw you she said "she's so cute... and so tiny" .. very true!!
Mera you and Jason are so great and I love you engagement story it is so fun to think back on such amazing times in our lives. Have a great egeagement week! Also hope your b-day was fab! I missed you and I wish we could have celebrated together...I am way more fun than Bear Lake:) Wish you could come to Berlin's party she really misses Lucy.
Ok Ok So Okay! WOW that really is quite the story! I loved the detail about the 'white nikes' I was cracking up! He started you off so amazing and spoiled, how will he ever top that?! Thanks for sharing! The pictures are to die for cute! Uhh so is your little girl, LUCY! I love her! I haven't commented but I have followed up and you guys are the perfect little family! Is it hard to imagine life without her now? She's so precious!
For the record.... I'm definitely getting that epideral!!! haha thanks for bullying me around Mer!!
Post a Comment