I have a little morsel of joy to share with you all. So I have been taking an adult hip hop beginners class with my friend Amanda for the last couple of months. It has been hilarious. We laugh all class long, watching ourselves in the mirrors. I've never taken a dance class in my life, so it's been particularly amusing learning those routines...a little Luda... a little fitty cent. I get to be as ghetto as I've always wanted to be in that class. Now as I've mentioned I have been known to cut a little rug. But routines? oh no. Never been my forte. Ask my sisters. Anyway, Our teacher has Usher moves. She is legit. 2 legit 2 quit. She proposed something quite exhilarating to our class last week, and utterly terrifying at the same time. "The dance studio is doing a recital in January at the Regan auditorium and I wanted to know if you guys want to do a number." Awkward glances were exchanged. Beads of sweat broke out. Ear lobes turned beet red at the prospect. Until my Amanda girl throws both arms in the air, and triumphantly exclaims, "YES!! Let's do it!" We all broke into tears, skipping and laughing as we ran towards each other, crying, hugging. Yes folks, thats the truth- I will be making my big hip hop debut sometime come the new year. (Specific dates will not be mentioned). She is teaching us to C walk. She is teaching us to krump. We are basically gangsters. We will be gettin jiggy wit it in front of a huge auditorium of parents who will be coming to watch their little 4 year old ballerinas. 7 or 8 of us dumpy adult hip hop beginners. I asked her if we graduated after the big performance, ya know.. to like advanced hip hoppers. She said, "More like Intermediate beginners." I said, "I'm gonna go ahead with advanced hip hoppers, but thanks." I can't believe it, all my nightmares are about to come true! (and I know you've had that nightmare, too.) However, just a little too much fun to refuse.
11 comments:
okay.. i'm laughing out loud right now.. only because i can relate way more than i would like to admit.. only i hope your "little ditty" turns out way better than mine did!!
i took a jazz dance class in college (because hip hop was full and i thought they were similar! ha!)i have always played sports... so like you i LOVE to dance.. but not "in routines" if you will! well.. at the end of the semester my teacher asked me to be in the big end of the year dance festival with a group ... and to make it worse asked me to be at the point of the triangle formation we were dancing in. there was about 500 people there, and about half way through the dance i forgot 8 full counts completely, i just stood there like a freak'n moron as i saw the life of my teacher drain from her... and after it was over ... i BAWLED my eyes out because i was so humiliated, even telling this story makes me want to crawl under a bush!
so better luck to you. ha! i'm sure you will do great!
sorry for the long comment.. i had to share! i'm jealous you are taking that class though! fun!
That sounds so fun! I have wanted to take a hip hop class because although I have taken various dance classes, no hip hop and mostly I've played sports lately so when I dance in the house or anywhere Ryan makes fun of me! O/well it makes Alli laugh and I have fun.
That is Awesome!!!There is nothing like performing on a stage. I have to say that I am more than a little jealous. I am sure that you will be freaking BUNK!!!
I mean buck. Oops!
HAHAHAHA!!!! That is so freaking funny and I am TOTALLY coming to the recital!!!! You've always been great on a stage especially when there are people around it giving you money:)
hahaha your friends are shrieking in horror right now:) Totally kidding about the money thing...anyway I've been taking Pilates at Gold’s and there is a hip Hop class that is after mine and the class is HUGE so it has to be so fun so I won't make fun of you too bad because I might have to try out the class. Remember John Barrand dancing on stage at the civic that is sooo you right now!!!!! hahahaha!
Oh Mevaboo---the only thing that would make this scenario any better is if you could contribute some of your own sweet choreography. That would be rich indeed. I can't wait! But even moreso--I can't wait for this time next week! Yes! Yes! Yes!
Girl, I must admit I am jealous that you are taking that class!! Whit and I took an adult hip hop class 2 years ago and FREAKIN loved it! Of course, I am sure I looked like an idiot, but I loved every second of it! Whit is taking the class again right now, but I didn't do it cause I was so sick during September... But next fall, you better believe I am taking it again! Granted... I didn't have to do a recital! I love you, you will rock :)By the way, my mom took an adult tap and riverdance class 2 years ago and had to do 3 numbers at a recital at the Civic!! There she was, a 48 year old in a short skirt and fish nets cuttin a rug on stage at the CIVIC!! She about died, and we made sure to film it!! Make sure Jason films it!! :) So fun!
So much fun, Meradith! I can just see you up there, having a blast! Hope you have a great time, I know you will.
That is so awesome! OH how I miss dancing. You will have to get a good video.
i had 2 flashbacks reading this, us in crouch's class doing step aerobics, and nancy raising the roof after the step dancers performed at the civic.
i can't believe you are nervous. i mean, the routine part is new, i get that. but i would assume you are right in your element, dancing your little white girl heart out to luda. :) i want to come so bad. please?
Oh, you WILL be telling us when the big day is!
Post a Comment