Sunday, November 29, 2009

More than Thankful.

I saw this video on my friend Kacy's blog. I had to copy. Because it made me feel all warm. I love this time of year. I love the kindness and good feelings that come along with it.

I overflow with gratitude this year. To use the word "thankful" feels sadly inadequate. Any words do, but words are what I have, so bear with me. I am thankful for the richness of my life. A life full of love and companionship. I am thankful for feeling deeply. I watched "My sister's keeper," the other night with my sister-in-law Cathy and my husband. I ugly-face bawled from start to finish, didn't hold back. We were all emotional. The three of us sat there afterward and talked, and we laughed so hard all puffy eyed (mostly Cathy and me. Jason may have been a little teary-eyed but I don't think he reached puffiness). I thought about how good it felt... to feel emotion deeply. Cathartic. Regardless of the what kind of emotion it is, it's what makes you know you are alive. Poignantly at that. The human soul craves that depth of feeling. I love the arts that makes me feel that depth. I'm so thankful for it. And especially for the people in my life for whom I feel so deeply.

I am so utterly thankful for repentence. Words cannot express. I'm so thankful for the mercy of God the Father for knowing how much we would lose our way during this life and for preparing a plan for our redemption from sins. I'm thankful for Jesus Christ; his perfect example and his willingness to die so that I can be made whole if I will repent. I'm thankful that there is no limit in how much He will allow me turn to Him and start over. I will not allow His sacrifice to go in vain in my life. He has healed me so many times and I will need His succor many many times over still. Anything and everything I have been able to overcome in this life, I owe to Him. I'm so thankful for knowing Him. I am thankful for truth. I'm thankful to know the Savior will return one day. I look at the evil and suffering taking place in the world and am so thankful for the surety and comfort of knowing that it will end when He does come. Until then, I know there is more good that needs to be accomplished, and I'm thankful to know I have the priviledge of taking part in it.

I'm thankful for goodness; for good, moral people of all faiths and backgrounds. That they are striving to make the world a better place and to be better people. I'm thankful that they are still trying to listen to that still small voice of right and wrong. I'm thankful that they stand up for good and righteousness in such a troubled world and in troubled times. I'm thankful for the hope they give me.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

ohhhh that was so good. You are so good with words. I agree with you about feeling deeply. I think it is so important to laugh hard, cry hard and sympathize with others. I think its important that we really feel. I think, actually, I know people go through this life without really letting themselves experience those emotions. I used to get really self-conscious for always being the one to cry about everything. Someone would tell me their sad story and I would be in tears, I would see a sad commercial or movie and I am crying, I hear a touching song and I can't hold back....I used to wonder what was wrong with me. Same with Laughter. Brandon used to always get so emberrassed that I always laugh at everything and laugh so hard and I am kind of loud.
Over the past few years I have totally learned to embrace these things about me. Its who i am and I am so thankful for it.
Loved your testimony.

Eric & Aimei Phillips said...

I totally agree with you about how impactful movies can be and how they can make you experience such deep emotions...life changing...that's EXACTLY how I felt after New Moon...dude, I'm totally kidding...it worries me that people would competely buy that I'm serious...I do love your posts, though...always thought provoking...we need to get together before Christmas...Thanksgiving was no fun without you guys!!!