We have had a few uncharacteristically warm days this week, don't you think? Tuesday particularly had an extra bounce in my step. I see green poking through the snow and blue skies and get all frantic and worked up and start head-butting the wall and everyone in sight. (In my house growing up, on exciting occasions we never hi-fived or chest bumped, we head-butted.) I start getting out my summer dresses. I start lathering up in sunscreen to go lay out on my deck (I think it reached 47 degrees). Like maybe it's already time for our rodent friend Mr. Punxsutawney Phil to come frolic with us. We'll go paw in hand, maybe we'll even sing a song, he won't see his shadow and he'll decide it's time for spring. This was Tuesday. Doesn't it look promising? We didn't even need her heavy coat.
Then it hits me like a back hand that it is January 21. JANUARY. The first official day of winter was only one piddly month ago today. And then I cry. Ugly face cry. I'm sitting here looking out the window as the snow comes down. It's coming, coming, coming. Big heavy flakes at this moment. The size of quarters. I wish it was quarters. And there's no stoppin' it. This picture is as current as we can get. I paused from this post to go take a picture of it. Disheartening yet peaceful.
The only silver lining is that I know I'm not quite finished adding my layer of winter insulation. I need that blubber, for warmth. And for milk production. (Fascininating side-note trivia: while whole cow's milk is a mere 4% fat, did you know that humpback whale milk is 40% fat?! Think about the possibilities. Now that'd be some delicious hot chocolate.)
So there are a lot more indoor activities heading our way, like the piano lessons Lucy has started. She just got down Beethoven's Moonight Sonata. But I just don't feel like she's really pushing herself yet.
A couple weeks ago she started coming into the front room and climbing up here by herself. And don't you judge her for wearing the same pajamas as two posts ago, even though I think these pics were taken two days in a row. It's not her fault, don't you dare judge her! (I guarantee I've been in those sweats for a week straight, including sleeping in them. I'm in them right now. And I don't even care.)
4 comments:
ok now why did i think you daughter was named Lola or something else? We love Lucy! Its at the top of our baby name list, just Lucy. IS yours something longer Lucille, Lucia?? Anyway. She is a doll and I felt completely teased by that warm weather too. COme Spring, come!
Hey, Chris and I were looking through blogs last night and came across yours. I LOVE your posts!! Your are such a great writer! Anyway,we're making ours private, so if you want to check in on ours leave us your e-mail address.
That's why you need to visit AZ more often!! Although sometimes I admit I do miss the snow, it's so pretty. Lucy is an absolute doll, it was so fun to see her this weekend. It was also so fun to hang with ya'll too! We had so much fun and wanted to thank you guys for everything!!
I love this post! I actually love all your posts, very entertaining! Haha! I had a bast this weekend, thank you again and i forgot to tell your hubby thank you so if you could for me.
Love the pictures, Lucy is such a cutie and such a good little girl. :)
Post a Comment