I want to start by saying I do not take posting recipes on my blog lightly. I have actually only posted one recipe... the infamous cookies, found here. I only posted them because they sent such a revolutionary shock wave through my family that I found myself not able to even talk about anything else at the time. And folks, right now I dream about this salsa all night long. I put some in a Tupperware container and spoon it while I sleep. I can't get enough of this stuff. Maybe it's because fresh salsa just invigorates me and reminds me of summertime barbeques. If you are a cilantro lover, (and I will be the first to say that cilantro and I are... definitely involved) you will LOVE this. And it is SO easy. 15 minutes from start to finish. I give all Kudos to my sister Bethany for perfecting this recipe. You got me totally hooked Beth.
You will need:
4-6 large tomatoes (in the winter the smaller on-vine-tomatoes are more ripe, so I use 8 of those babies.)
1/2 medium sweet (or yellow) onion
1 bunch cilantro
1 serrano pepper
1 can corn
1 can black beans
garlic salt
*Before we start, for me and mine, the most important components in making this a hit is not chopping the cilantro too fine and adding enough garlic salt.*
-Cut the tomatoes into fourths and grind them in the blender (don't grind too long, you still want some chunks- I usually just pulse it). It will make a base paste. Pour into medium mixing bowl.
-Dice up the onion and cilantro. I dice the onion fairly fine, but the cilantro I leave coarse.
-Dice pepper, very finely. (If you are daring, the original recipe says 1 to 3 peppers, but 1 is plenty of spice for me and I don't mind spicy food. These peppers are small but pack a punch. I imagine using 3 would burn your face right off. And *NEVER EVER* cut them up without gloves on. I have a food processor so I chop them with that, so I never realized to pass along the very crucial instructions to protect your hands from these bad boys. (I'm so, so sorry Wendy!)
-Drain the corn and beans. Rinse them off in a strainer. Mix the corn and beans in.
-Add garlic salt to taste. There is never such thing as too much garlic salt for me, but there IS such thing as too little. I'm shakin' that baby for a solid 6 or 7 seconds.
And there you have it. Perfection.
5 comments:
Mera- we make something very similar to this at our house. Try adding some fresh lime- it will take it to a another level!! I love lime and cilantro together-- SO GOOD! Oh and totally agree with you about the cilantro --it is the best :)
Yes! I've been meaning to get this delish salso recipe. Frankew meda! Frankew!
When I was pregnant with Leah I was NUTSO for chips and salso. Also, I just realized I keep typing "salso." It's stayin!
Yuver Meda!
We all know there is a serious problem when I wake up, pull the tupperware full of salsa out of the fridge and take a few spoonfuls, yes, thats right, with NO CHIPS...you see they are not allowed right now in my eating healthy quest. But the salsa...fair game. Don't think for one second I won't eat the damn stuff PLAIN! Yummy! Then I have really great cilantro/onion breath at the bus stop! HAHAHA...gross, but really, its true! And props have to go to Abe for bringing this into our family the Christmas you were on your mission...I'm just sayin.
Devin is going to be so excited I went blogging today. Thanks for the idea!
well i think i haven't been on the internet for about 30 days now, but today i thought i better go read a blog so of course chose yours. we are one in the same. i also love this salsa. i once made it for a salsa competition at Novell and won first place! yeah yeah. PS Hot V-day clothes!
Post a Comment