*Viewer discretion is advised. Some content of this post may be unsuitable for small children. Or the faint of heart...Or the weak of stomach.*
Everyone knows the all too familiar photo shoot scenario, particularly in family settings, when someone yells out, "Make a funny face!" And what most everyone knows about this, (but what some refuse to come to grips with) is that by "funny", we mean, "the most heinously unattractive face you can muster". Yes yes folks, that's of course what we mean.
Now, we also all know those who refuse to make an ugly face for a photograph.
Perpetrators found in both bottom corners of this photo:
And this one...
While there are many perpetrators in this one, the biggest perpetrator of all is found dead center:
And in this one here below, Vanessa almost got called out for the ugly-face-while-still-trying-to-look-pretty-face. Only because I know she has so much more potential than this. But we let it slide. After slapping her pregnant belleh.
Now people, when you hear these words, (to be read in slow motion) "Maaaaake-a-funny-faaaaaaace..." you have a choice. You can cringe at the thought, and run away from it. You can cringe and quiver in fear over the what-ifs involved (What if my ex-boyfriend sees this? What if someone thinks this is really what I look like? What if my husband's ex-girlfriend sees this? What if my face gets stuck like this forever? Does my overall attractiveness decrease because of this photograph??) OR (and this is the vision I have for all of us) you can embrace the fugly face. You can accept that it is part of you, the good, the bad and the ugly. You can become one with it. You can stare the fear of making a hideous face for the camera in the eye- and you can overcome that fear. And you can be liberated- forever. You can live in a world that you don't feel compelled to run over and check what the picture looks like after every time someone snaps one of you. That can be you, my friend.
I know, I know... I've had to evolve myself with fugly-face making. It hasn't always been easy. It's been a long and difficult road. For example, the day I married Jason. I thought somehow that making a weak funny/ugly face in my wedding gown would be more appropriate. Like I would be a more respectable bride. So this is all I did:
And I lost respect for myself that day. Turns out, it wasn't ugly at all, nor was it funny. It was just me still trying to be pretty. Shameful.
Or how about before that, when Jason and I were just getting back together, (still trying to impress each other) on a road trip I was given the infamous instructions to, "make an ugly face!!" And this was the best that I could come up with?:
I knew deep down inside I had so much more to give. So much more contortion possible. I knew I had sold myself out. Weak effort, Meradith. I'm not proud of this moment either.
Let's start with some fugly-face making basics. There are some things that everyone can do to help themselves out. First, and easiest step, create a double chin. I don't care how stickly thin you are, a double chin is ALWAYS possible. Always lurking in the shadows, waiting for her moment to shine. Let her shine, baby.
Second step, curl your lips in and bare your teeth, squirrel style. You might wanna get in front of a mirror and practice this one a few times, doesn't come quite as easily as a double chin. Our friend Dave demonstrates beautifully:
Thirdly, do something strange with your eyes. I've been able to do what I like to call chameleon eyes a time or two, and that's when your eyes shoot out simultaneously in opposite directions, but I couldn't find any documentation. Crossing eyes can be funny, but only with the addition of other fugly contortions. Prime example of a true talent:
Vanessa's otherwise stunningly flawless face transformed. Look at the creation of the double chin. Look at the contortion of the mouth. And the eyes are the perfect touch. Alone they wouldn't be much, but in addition to... it's perfect. It's utterly magical.
An easy but fun go-to route is a fake cry. Fake cries present unique fugly-face opportunities.
So if you've got nothin' else, go for that.
Now, there is one person I will make special mention of that is ever constant, ever faithful to fugly-face making. And I've never even pulled him aside and given him a single tip.
Ever constant...
Perfectly wonderful, boring sister photo shoot opportunities, enhanced and made much more memorable:
The culmination of all fugliness tied up into one sisterly masterpiece. Note the chins. Note the mouths. Note the glazed over eyes. True artistic genius:
And last but certainly not least, some of my best work up to date. It took an unbelievable amount of concentration, but I actually willed that facial hair to appear. The happy couple just weeks after being wed:
You show me a person who will throw caution to the wind and contort a normal face to something that elicits dry-heaving, and I will show you a BFF for life.





















13 comments:
How do you do it?? How do you continue to come up with the most hilarious blog posts?! This is one of my favs..
Jason in the chuck e cheese pic is one of the best faces I have EVER seen! How do you top that?! Haha!
I am a good fugly face maker. My friends are not! After taking the pic I always look at it and think, "that's what they think is a funny face?!" Next time, I will just direct them to this blog post! Thanks Mer, you are the best... and I'll show you some fugly faces and we can be BFF's for life ;)
I personally have very strong feelings, as well, about the ugly face...One of which is this....IS there anything more annnoying than when you are with a group of girls that you don't know very well and you are all suppossed to make an ugly face and then you are the only one that does???? I hate that!!!...Mer you have always been my partner in crime in this and have never disappointed..thanks for being a girl who isn't afraid of a double chin here and there :). My second thought is sometimes I puposely pull an ugly face because I know my normal look that day may be off and so a non ugly pose, may in fact reveal, I just looked ugly that day. So if I pull an ugly face then I don't feel bad for looking ugly because I'm like "Yeah, well I was TRYING to look hideous people..and that's funny, way better than being pretty".....Excellent post Mer, pure poetry.
There is some real commitment in these pictures. I had a good hearty laugh :) I am pretty sure my favorite one is Jason. His commitment is something to be envied. Hahaha!! The other one that got me rolling is the sister one. Me and Kenzie frequently take turns picture messaging each other with the ugliest of faces we, as well as our children, can pull. Hope you guys are doing great!!
You guys do love the fugly face pictures!!!!!
awesome....
xoxo
Love it Mera :) I can't get over your face in that last picture with your sisters... oh my. That is the greatest thing. Love you. The fake crying brings back some great memories... I need to take your advice with the fugly face making, I am a little weak when the camera comes out :)
Mer, I actually wasn't even making a fugly face in that pic...sadly, that is just my normal look.
Hahahaha, i love this post! As I'm reading it i literally started doing as you said with the double chin, squirrel mouth and i go into the bathroon to take a look... good hell that's a fugly face! Thanks for the tips. I love that you make funny faces cause lots of people don't. My sisters and i do all the time and I'll admit i do with my kids a lot in pics, just go back on older posts on my blog and u will see. Lol, i actually did with Tayson two nights ago cause we were bored.
And Leah you are so wrong, i do know how to make a fugly face. Just because that one time Kim and i didn't now u think none of your friends know how but believe me i do! Lol. Thanks to Meridith i even know how to make the fugliest face of all due to her tips!!! Sweet! Fugly face making is fuuuuuuuuun!
Oh and that Chuck E Chesse pic of your hubby is hilarious! He's a pro.
And one of my favorites that i personally think is nasty fugly of all is when you put chocolate in your teeth. It makes everyone look like hilbillies!
You guys are PRO's at the art of fugly face making!
Leah and I are PRO's at making ugly faces!! I do love the reminder of the steps to making fugly faces. Leah and I have learned that when we say, "make an ugly face" for pictures, that we're going to be the only ones with legitimately ugly faces. Our family is full of ugly face imposters!
I will however add, that Leah makes ugly faces for pictures, when not asked. I remember a specific wedding photo of mine. It's me with all my sisters. We're all smiling...except Leah. She's making an ugly face. (If I remember correctly, she's looks like a cross-eyed blowfish). She missed the memo that we were no longer doing ugly faces for the photographer. That picture always makes me laugh!
Every time I get on your blog, I start laughing out loud and someone else in the room always asks me what's so funny.
Today my sister-in-law happened to be there when I started laughing and asked me what was so funny. All I could think of to reply was this: "my friend Meradith is a very pretty girl but wow she knows how to make funny faces". I didn't know you had that talent! Thanks for making me laugh.
Post a Comment