Sunday, June 15, 2008

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!

What a sensational day to celebrate sensational men! I love you Dad! Of course I had to include one of my favorites pics of you and me...



There are three fathers in particular who mean
the most to me...

Father in Heaven, how is your love for me ever so infinite and ever so present in my life? Ever since I was a little girl I have felt the reality of your existence and felt your presence all around me. I knew I had a relationship with you as a small child and have felt confirmations of your love for me countless times as I’ve grown up. I remember when I was a girl of 8 or 9 when our family was living with Nana and Rooney and I had a series of the same horribly traumatic nightmare for multiple nights in a row. I remember it vividly. I was so terrified to go to sleep each night; so afraid the dream would happen again. On the nights I didn’t go crawl into bed with mom and dad; I remember knowing to pray to you about it. I pled with you every single night for multiple weeks and laid in bed singing primary songs. I always found the comfort I needed to be able to drift off to sleep. I love you so much and am in complete awe at how much you let me know you love me.

Dad, you are one of the best and truest friends of my life. My childhood is filled with memories of laughing and wrestling with you. Since a girl I have also treasured our talks. Some of the most meaningful and instructional conversations about the gospel and life for me have between you and me. I love our talks now when I call you. I loved your letters while serving my mission. You have been a source of constant strength to me and I knew my whole life I wanted to find someone just like you to marry. Last year when I pulled my quad during the NorthStar softball game (so embarrassing… bawling like a baby) I had composed myself enough to stop crying. Jason would ask me how I was doing every time he came on and off the field and I said ok… just trying to tough it out but, seriously, I was in a world of hurt! Then you showed up to the field and in front of everyone I limped towards you and burst into tears like a 5 year old crying harder than EVER as you hugged me and had that nurturing tone of voice so familiar to me. Embarrassing or not, no matter how old I get and no matter where I go you will always be my dad. I love you Dad. Thank you so much for all you’ve taught me and continue to teach me.

Sweetest husband Jason, you are the epitome of everything noble and wonderful I have seen in great men my entire life. I still can’t believe you chose me. Long before I fell in love with you, your character left undeniable impressions on me. There was always a clear sense that you were completely different than anyone I’d ever known. Refined and gentle, honest and kind to everyone around you. You are the most forgiving and empathetic person I know. I’m so excited to watch you be a dad. Some men are just born to be fathers and you are one of them. Every time I feel overwhelmed and afraid about her arrival and about my own frailties as a mom, just that little belly rub from you and the look of anticipation and tenderness you have when you look down at her in there gives me just what I need. The thought that I am not alone and will always have you by my side no matter what is the most glorious reassurance. I have been dreaming of you all my life, and then one day you just showed up. There you were. I love you and treasure you as my husband and very soon to be father of our baby girl. I am eternally grateful for the love we share.

3 comments:

katie said...

That is a perfect picture of you and your father!
I also love your tribute to all, but to Jason the most!

Unknown said...

Oh Mera I even miss that cute smile of your dads and I LOVE that you ugly face bawled to him when you got hurt!
:) I seriously started laughing at that story such a daddy's girl move...I totally know the feeling.

Anonymous said...

What a great picture to have of you and your dad! Priceless!