So we had our second prenatal class last night, and I have to admit… I left feeling pretty chapped. Not only did I leave there chapped, I also was in need of a good cathartic cry before bed. It helped. Now I really am not one of those people who get all uptight about stuff, but lately, seems like lots of things have been really chapping me.
Let me set the scene for you. We are sitting there in class with about 30 people or so. The first hour of class we talk about epidurals, pitocin, episiotomies…all that thrilling stuff. I'm thinking not that big of a deal, useful and important information, and what’s his name from the back of the room is even holding down the fake laughing. So we take our little break and then the nurse says that she is going to take half the class on a tour of the hospital and the other half will stay and watch a video, and then we’d switch. It was our turn to watch the video first.
Don’t worry; it was only the most horrifically graphic birthing video I’ve ever seen in my life. Three births in fact. They showed EVERYTHING, up-close and personal. There were gasps and cries of terror among the mothers-to-be in that little room, and about half way through I just put my head down and felt the beads of sweat gathering on my forehead. Tears were shed, yes… but they were not tears of joy. They were tears of horror.
The nurse gets back to the room with the first group, and asks us in her all too chipper voice, “Do you have any questions before we take you on the tour?” There were a few questions from others about forceps and then my hand shot up into the air, I’m sorry but I couldn’t be contained. Jason, kinda joking but mostly serious, even tries to nervously hold my arm down…
“Yes?” she motioned to me, again all too chipper.
“This may be a strange question and I’m not trying to be rude… but what makes you think that showing these videos is a good idea? I mean, what’s the purpose, just to get the dads in the room ready for the gore? Cuz honestly if I’m about to go into a really gory and intense surgery the last thing I wanna do is watch the procedure on film right before it happens to me… Right now I’m about to throw up and pass out.”
There were quite a few chuckles throughout the room but I really wasn't trying to be funny. Worst part about it, the nurse had no idea what to say. She had NO logical explanation as to why ON EARTH these lovely practitioners, probably in every prenatal class around the country, submit us to that. She did however assert, as if I didn’t know already, that “you won’t see any of it when it’s happening to you.”
Yes, that’s actually one of my points. Why would I want to see a close up shot of that happening to another woman when I could have otherwise tried my best to stay ignorantly blissful of the wreckage going on to my body? I don’t want to see the blood and the other strange bodily fluids everywhere. I don’t want to hear to screaming and moaning. At another time in life, maybe I could watch it and think it’s beautiful. But not right now. It hits just a little too close to home right now.
I also think its kinda interesting how some guys (not my husband… we’ve already addressed the issue several times about the right and wrong things to say) think the right thing to say is, “Women have been having babies since the beginning of time… you’ll be fine!!” with a slap on the back. Really? Cuz thousands of men were castrated in the middle ages so they could keep their high pitched tenor voices… the fact that it happened to a lot of men brings you a lot of comfort at the thought of it happening to YOU, doesn’t it? Come on! Be a sport!! Men’s parts have been cut off for just years! Doesn’t that make you wanna just step right up in line?? Now I know that's not quite as natural of a process as child bearing.. ok not natural at all... but still. I think you catch my drift. Hubbies out there reading this blog (and I know there are a lot of you who are undercover blog readers) please please don't ever say that to your pregnant wife. Especially if it's her first.
Ok, I feel a little better after going on my rant. I’m just scared. I know it will all be worth it, truly I do. And crazy enough, I know I will willingly do it all again sometime in the not too distant future. I'm so excited to hold her in my arms. The thought just overwhelms me with glorious feelings! However, from where I stand right now in this ordeal, I am completely and utterly terrified! Is that okay?
19 comments:
You poor girl! Hearing your story makes me scared and I have already been through it twice! No worries... Everything is going to be fine! Everones experience is different, but I am here to tell you that the benefits far out way all of the scary stuff! Of coarse you are going to be scared. You have never experienced this before, but the people you love the most will be right beside you. You are going to do great. I am so excited for you to feel the joy of holding a little piece of heaven in your arms! If you have any questions, feel free to ask!
Hearing your story makes me glad that I never took a prenatal class! You are going to be fine! It's funny how the unknown can be so terrifying at times. This is just one of those moments you have to trust yourself. Your body will know what to do. I know that everyone's experience is unique, but Joe and I watched the Ted Kennedy Experiment the entire "labor" until it was time to push, then 15 minutes later there was Jayden. There is always an opposite to what you saw in the videos. PLUS once you meet your little baby there is nothing that would stop you from going through the whole thing over again for her. I can't wait for you guys to experience that love!
Sorry Meradith, it's Amanda Bowler. I just found your blog and having been through this not too long ago I can totally relate! I got really scared two days before she was coming, but honestly I can say that at least for me (I had an epidural mind you) labor was not as bad as I thought it would be. I know it is different for everyone, but don't hesitate to get the epidural (if you are getting one, which I totally recommend) quickly. It made me relax so much and I progressed so much faster than I think I would have. Sorry this is long, but hopefully it gives you some comfort. :) Totally cliche, but it is all worth it and you forget about it so quickly! Good luck!
Meradith i love you! Although I have never seen the video i can imagine. I'm just glad you raised your hand and asked the question.... i'm sure everyone else was wondering the same thing! You are going to be such an amazing mom and i can't wait to meet her!
Meradith, I just want to say I can so relate to the fear going through your mind right now. When I was pregnant with Luke I heard all the horror stories, like it was supposed to bring me comfort on what I would be going through. There was no shot at me skipping the epidural, and thank heavens for modern medicine! Both of my deliveries were pretty great (considering) thanks to that poke in the back! Try not to get yourself too worked up about the delivery, and kudos for asking why they think it's so great to show such a graphic video to expecting Moms!
I totally understand what you are going through. I felt the same way. Don't worry everything will be fine!
You are absolutely hillarious. Cliche as it is, and as much as you already know it, it is even more worth it than can be imagined. Sorry to add to your list, but no one told me that after giving birth I would feel like a bomb went off in my underpants for two weeks...Good luck! :) (I'm cruel. Shouldn't have told you. I know.)
Meradith, I think maybe they should just have the dads watch that video. Because not that I enjoyed watching that video in our prenatel class, but I have to admit it was helpful to have seen the actual process so that when I was watching it in real life I felt more prepared for what was going to happen. But I agree that the mothers probably don't need to see that. I know Kristee had to close her eyes through most of that video so she wouldn't pass out.
I completely agree that those videos do nothing but put the fear of God into you!
I am so glad that you said something cause it's always...ok not always...but most times best to get it out.
You know and I know that you will be just fine!!!
Meradith you are too funny! You will be great especially if you get an epidural. I can't believe your baby will be here soon- time has gone quickly- at least from the outside looking in. I am excited for you- I hope you have a great experience..I did.
Hey, Well I totally feel for you. I am so sorry! I wish I could have told you sooner, NOT TO DO THOSE CLASSES, they are no help I swear a waste of time. Your doctor can give you all the info you need as far as timing contractions and all that crap. Your mom and sisters and friends can tell you WAY MORE than you'll ever need to know and its so much better to hear it from them.
I asked everybody about their experiences cause everyone is different. I got good stories, bad ones, normal ones....it made me feel alot better.
JUST KNOW that it will all be okay, tell yourself that over and over, and its NOT AS BAD AS YOU THINK it will be. I WAS HORRIFIED, scared to death and then after it was all over I was like, "oh, it wasn't bad". ANYWAYS TOTALLY normal to be completely FREAKED out and SCARED to DEATH. BUT I have had 2 kids and both times I was scared to death and both times I was wondering why I was so terrified afterwards. Its a big deal! Anyways, good luck!
Hey Meraboo...
Yes I was Born in Omaha NE a cornhusker for life:) Anyway that is so awesome you heard Take a Bow...I loved that song and seriously we rocked it like no other!
I too can't wait to see you it will be so fun for you to meet Berlin she will just LOVE you her aunti Mer Mer.
Anyway quit being such a scardy cat and quit asking questions is what that teacher should have told you:) All you need to do is have some MB's Chunky Beef Stew and you'll be golden! hahaha! I loved that speach class actually one thing that makes me laugh out load still is you doing that speech on tape in the bathrom and when you presented it the same day it had like an echo from the bathroom and in class I was laughing SO HARD knowing your secret!!! I love you! B
Hey! Things are goin good out here! Sorry about the awful video you had to endure... it will all be WELL worth it in the end! Thanks for giving the rest of us women the wonderful tip to never watch the video.. I am sad we missed you guys when we were in town we will have to get together next time! Ryan says your house is gorgeous can't wait to see it. I love that you thought of me when you went to a yard sales that makes me laugh.. Good luck with the rest of the pregnancy.. Good to talk to ya!
you are hilarious! we're so excited for max's girlfriend to come into the world ... we need to hang out by the pool asap :-)
Hey Meradith, this is Hailey Smoot Kandell, your distant Burns relative. I HAD to comment on this one, having had 2 kids myself. YOu know all the worst case scenario stuff, like your epidural not working, getting 4 epidurals actually and NONE of them working, being given an episiotamy with no numbing, then getting a 4th degree tear through the muscle anyway and being in labor for 2 days ??? all that JAZZ??? Well, that is what happened to me, ALL of it, twice!!!! I had the exact same labor story twice, except the second time around me 3rd epidural worked on the left side of my body only. WELL, even after all of that, It is so so so worth it and so so so not as body terrifying as those movies. So take it from someone who HAS done the rough stuff. As long as that sweet baby is healthy, you can do ANYTHING!!
Hey Meradith, this is Hailey Smoot Kandell, your distant Burns relative. I HAD to comment on this one, having had 2 kids myself. YOu know all the worst case scenario stuff, like your epidural not working, getting 4 epidurals actually and NONE of them working, being given an episiotamy with no numbing, then getting a 4th degree tear through the muscle anyway and being in labor for 2 days ??? all that JAZZ??? Well, that is what happened to me, ALL of it, twice!!!! I had the exact same labor story twice, except the second time around me 3rd epidural worked on the left side of my body only. WELL, even after all of that, It is so so so worth it and so so so not as body terrifying as those movies. So take it from someone who HAS done the rough stuff. As long as that sweet baby is healthy, you can do ANYTHING!!
So Tim and I just bought a condo and closed on it yesterday. We are in the middle of moving and moving is not my mental forte. The condo is in Pleasant Grove so we will be down your way closer. Getting settled tends to take me an enormously long amount of time. I am a bit, a lot, OCD. You ARE going to tell me when I can come see you and meet your babe right? I will make it my goal to be somewhat settled by then... haha.
look at your baby ticker... just a few more ticks!! i can't believe how soon it is! and yes... we must plan a garage sell adventure at once.. okay.. maybe just grab a jamba or something since we really are just a hog, skip, and jump from each other! hope your feeling fanastic still! can't wait to see her! call me sometime seriously
Hey Meradith, its Darcie (McAffee) Erickson. How are you? I was doing a little blog stocking and I came across your blog. Congratulations on the upcoming baby. We are in Molly and Vic Jackson's ward and have become really good friends with them. She had mentioned that Vic was friends with you husband. Anyway, good luck on the upcoming events!!
Post a Comment