Yesterday we traveled up to Idaho Falls and went to the funeral of the father of one of my best friends, Stacy. He passed away a week ago today. He was so young, and it was so sudden. I can’t begin to comprehend the profundity of emotion that she has felt this past week and what she will continue to feel, along with Nic, Jodee and Teresa, the rest of her family. I am so sorry Stace. As your friend I have felt so helpless knowing you are suffering in this way. I wish there was something I could do to alleviate it.
Death is such a strange thing to me, so bizarre and utterly baffling. There’s just no way that we are able to prepare ourselves for these kinds of turning points in life. It is mind-blowing how pivotal and eternally impactful the events of just a few moments can be. Brandi, another one of my best friends since childhood, lost her father 6 years ago this month also. We attended the funeral of Jason's cousins’ husband, just a few weeks ago. He was a 30 year old man who died of cancer, leaving his wife and two tiny boys behind, both under the age of three. I don't understand how anyone could live this life believing that there is nothing after. With how fragile and delicate our bodies are, and how suddenly we are taken, how can anyone really believe this is all that there is? What would be our purpose here?
It was a wonderful service. Such a sweet tribute to a wonderful man. One of the speakers touched on some things that really stood out to me. What he said rang true to me. He said, and I'm paraphrasing... that “it hurts so much to lose the ones we love most. But what would the alternative way to feel be? To feel nothing at all? We hurt so much because we love so much. To deeply feel sorrow is far greater at any time than feeling nothing at all. Where there is an absence of pain over loss, there is an absence of love. Mourning is the deepest expression of love.”
Death is such a strange thing to me, so bizarre and utterly baffling. There’s just no way that we are able to prepare ourselves for these kinds of turning points in life. It is mind-blowing how pivotal and eternally impactful the events of just a few moments can be. Brandi, another one of my best friends since childhood, lost her father 6 years ago this month also. We attended the funeral of Jason's cousins’ husband, just a few weeks ago. He was a 30 year old man who died of cancer, leaving his wife and two tiny boys behind, both under the age of three. I don't understand how anyone could live this life believing that there is nothing after. With how fragile and delicate our bodies are, and how suddenly we are taken, how can anyone really believe this is all that there is? What would be our purpose here?
It was a wonderful service. Such a sweet tribute to a wonderful man. One of the speakers touched on some things that really stood out to me. What he said rang true to me. He said, and I'm paraphrasing... that “it hurts so much to lose the ones we love most. But what would the alternative way to feel be? To feel nothing at all? We hurt so much because we love so much. To deeply feel sorrow is far greater at any time than feeling nothing at all. Where there is an absence of pain over loss, there is an absence of love. Mourning is the deepest expression of love.”
I also stole this quote from a blog of a friend of mine who lost her little two year old baby girl a few months ago. She entitled the post, "Sadness is underrated." It's an excerpt from an article that came out in the Chronicle Review by Eric G. Wilson. “I for one am afraid that American culture's overemphasis on happiness at the expense of sadness might be dangerous, a wanton forgetting of an essential part of a full life. I further am concerned that to desire only happiness in a world undoubtedly tragic is to become inauthentic, to settle for unrealistic abstractions that ignore concrete situations. I am finally fearful of our society's efforts to expunge melancholia. Without the agitations of the soul, would all of our magnificently yearning towers topple? Would our heart-torn symphonies cease?”
I believe these things. I believe that our ability to feel joy will increase with the depths of sadness we experience. I believe that suffering is crucial to enriching our lives and permitting us to develop character and depth. There must be divine purpose to it all, mustn't there? Yes, there must.
I know that life continues after death. I know the separation is only temporary, and that we will be reunited with our lost loved ones; "for they are not lost unto the Father, for He knoweth whither He hath taken them". The Savior has provided a way. I know that the atonement of Jesus Christ has provided the complete remedy for any and every kind of heartbreak that we are called upon to face. I know that all human pain and suffering has its limits. It can only last so long. It is only a matter of time; until all will be restored, until all wounds will be healed. Stacy, I'm sorry. I love you. In the midst of this all I pray you can feel Father in Heaven's love for you and find comfort there.
I believe these things. I believe that our ability to feel joy will increase with the depths of sadness we experience. I believe that suffering is crucial to enriching our lives and permitting us to develop character and depth. There must be divine purpose to it all, mustn't there? Yes, there must.
I know that life continues after death. I know the separation is only temporary, and that we will be reunited with our lost loved ones; "for they are not lost unto the Father, for He knoweth whither He hath taken them". The Savior has provided a way. I know that the atonement of Jesus Christ has provided the complete remedy for any and every kind of heartbreak that we are called upon to face. I know that all human pain and suffering has its limits. It can only last so long. It is only a matter of time; until all will be restored, until all wounds will be healed. Stacy, I'm sorry. I love you. In the midst of this all I pray you can feel Father in Heaven's love for you and find comfort there.
10 comments:
That was really nice, I have been thinking about Stacy all week.
That was a really good post. You know, I don't even know stacy and I could not stop thinking about her and her family. I kept telling Brandon, "I wish there was something we could do" and I don't even know her....I think just the thought of that happening makes you really want to try and live each day as if it were your last because you never know what the lord has in store for us or what might happen in this life, when your time might be over.
beautiful post mera, you have such a way with words. this weekend was bittersweet. i loved spending time with you girls. thanks again for the ride up. i love you guys and am obsessed with LOOEY, LIZZY, oh I mean, LUCY. my mom keeps talking about the way that jason held her... she loved it.. there is such a tenderness with men and their babies.
I hadn't heard about Stacy's dad...I used to know their family way back when and remember how kind they all were. He will be missed not only by his family and loved ones, but by Idaho Falls as well.
Meredith,
(sorry if i spelled your name wrong). I just happened to click on your blog today. I also happen to be having one of my most difficult days. If you read my blog today, you will know how much I NEEDED THIS. It was beautiful. It is no doubt true. Thank you for reminding me. For someone so beautiful and blessed, you are so grounded and so real and know what is truly important in life. Honestly, this post was inspired. The words, "thank you" don't even begin to cover it. This life really is so temporary, isn't it. My sympathy to your friend, Stacey. I pray she will be watched over and blessed as I have been, despite the difficult days.
THANK YOU.
what a great post!
oddly enough...one that i needed to hear so thanks!
sorry to hear about your friends father....
...i hope that you're still having so much fun with lucy :)
Meradith...thank you for posting this. I have had a loss of words for Stace and this was so perfect. You would think that losing my own father would help me with what to say but truly all I know and can relate to is the saddness of losing a daddy and I know what it feels like to be helpless and lost about it, but some days I don't even know how to help myself.
You said it perfect it is underated and the only thing that has helped me is time and only that has dried some of my tears but it will never stop them from coming.
Very well-written post. How sad about your friend.
Your posts are always so great to read. I felt so bad for Jodee and Stacy when I heard the news, he was a celebrity here.
meradith, you are so gifted with your words. we too were able to drive up to the funeral and it was a tradegy. i guess the best blessing of all is knowing we get to return to our loved ones again. we all have been praying for the johnson family. thanks again for a great post.
Post a Comment