Monday, September 21, 2009

Pregnancy=Insanity

Turns out there is in fact a little something going on in there besides indigestion. Turns out this little something has a sweet little speedy heart-rate of 163 bpm. Our estimated due date was a little off though, (which I suspected because it was with Lucy) so our official due date from the doc is April 27th. It just does not matter that this is the way every single human being who has ever lived on this earth came into the world, when it is going on inside your body it is pretty surreal.


And surreal how something so teeny-tiny can wreak such havoc on your system. I guess in every sense of the word it is totally life-changing and monumental to mother a child , so why should I expect it ever to have little or no effect on me, even from the very beginning?

Lucy and I went on a walk last week. It was the first time out of the house in like a week, and I must say it was very invigorating. This time of year is my very favorite. The crispness in the air really does something to my lungs I can't quite describe. On our walk, we happened across an obviously VERY pregnant kitty cat. She waddled towards us and gave a friendly yet exhausted meow. I wanted nothing more than to sit down and massage that little pregnant frame. Massage her little paws and back. I wanted to tell her she had a right to have attitude, that she didn't have to be a friendly cat. I even gave her permission to scratch a few people, but adults only. No one could blame her.

It's an interesting thing, with husbands during pregnancy. Jason makes me toast every single morning while I'm still in bed writhing and moaning feeling like I'm on a bad ride at six flags that will not end. He has been wonderful (understatement). He has cleaned the kitchen several times and has been more than satisfied with making himself a sandwich for dinner. But, in my extreme heffer-ness, I still find room to resent him a little, simply because he has no uterus. (Not his fault. If he did have a uterus, things just never would have worked out between us.) Bottom line, he can never comprehend it. (Anyone who has never been through it can never comprehend it.) And I always think he's annoyed at me when he's not. I always think he thinks I'm just putting on a good show, like he's thinking, "It can't really be that bad, knock it off." And then I cry and I tell him that's what I think he's thinking and he tells me it's ridiculous and he's not thinking that at all. He comforts me and I feel better and then suddenly my eyes narrow, my head shoots towards him again and I say, "Yeah but you'll never really understand what this is like! So how can you really have the patience you say you have?! You know you despise me right now, I can feel it! And that makes me despise you because this is all your fault!" (And he should despise me, mostly because I'm despicable in every way). And then we burst into laughter and hi-five and say, "Phew, glad that was all pretend! You really had me going! Now let's go make some jello!" Poor, poor...poor Jason. Luckily, I evened out a lot by second trimester with Lucy and was actually less hormonal than I was when not pregnant. We are crossing our fingers that I'll be back to sanity by then. Crossing our fingers but not holding our breath.

I think my favorite part about this all, and it should be your favorite part too, is when I'm reminded that this little darling is headed our way in no time flat! What a little cutie-patootie she is. (Go ahead, enlarge it. You know you want to.)


I lied, that's my second favorite part. This is in reality my favorite part to be reminded of. Something this sublime was our end result last time. Isn't she lovely.

13 comments:

Christa Skousen said...

Her Mer! I haven't wished you congratulations yet!! Reading your latest post brings back sooo many pregnant memories. Why are we girls all so so so hormonal? And it stinks because the guys never really will TRULY understand. I'm wishing you the best!!

chelsmi said...

Yea, congratulations Meradith and Jason! Your little Lucy is so precious.

Kent Kate & Afton said...

That picture of you is a side splitter! I love it. I am excited for you three. Does it make you laugh to think of tiny Lucy as a "big" sister?

kacy faulconer said...

I have a uterus so let me validate you: Lucy IS perfect and pregnancy IS that bad. Hang in there.

Eric & Aimei Phillips said...

Hey Mer, those pics are great...is that due to the new spiffy camera?! We never did take those pics...let's do it soon!!! We had a great time!!!!

Vanessa said...

Oh Meva! I just read the part about you wanting to massage that pregnant cats little paws and I had a laugh attack similar to the one we had on the phone today. Oh meda, I'm missing you today!

I love that pic of your in your swim suit. Wish I looked that good when I'm preggo you witch!

candicetheresa said...

I totally love! I will have Tim read asap. Great great post. And yes, you are a beauty.

Great photos you knew photographer you!!

heidi said...

Mera!I love you so much! Miss you even more...wish our little kiddos could get together and play! You crack me up! I HATE, hate, HATE that morning sickness! Mine kicks in about 6 weeks along until about 18 weeks!!!!! Bleck! Hang in there...as you the know the end result is always fabulous!

~Mike & Mackenzie said...

CONGRATULATIONS! I am so excited for you ... it seems like everyone is having a baby!! Cant wait to find out if you are having a boy or girl!!!

I hope you feel better soon!

Kate Call said...

oh meradith.. its always a good ole time visiting your blog.. comedy central really. you just make me laugh.. and your just too cute..
how much do i love that you posted that picture of you pregs in your swimsuit..(you look way too cute to be that pregnant... pulling that face and all!) thats what i love about you.. you're just raw... just you. ;)
sorry your sick.. hope it passes quickly.

Frankman's said...

Mer - your relationship with jason right now is EXACTLY how i am with dave. i lay around all day because i don't feel good, and then he gets home and i start yelling at him to "not be so judgemental and he doesn't know what it's like" and he starts stammering all confused, deer in the headlights, and he can't figure out what he said to make me freak out ... ahhh, the pregnant life. poor husband. like, the other night he said to me, "i can't wait until this sickness part of the pregnancy is over" and i freaked out and started yelling "oh, like it's SO HARD for you is it? try being the one who's sick all the time" and he's trying to calm me down, "i was just trying to be empathetic ..." poor guy.

amyharrisonphotography said...

Meradith, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yours is the only blog that has me laughing and tearing up all at the same time! Your little babes are so blessed to have you as their mother!
I wish that I was half the mother and woman that you are!
And Lucy is as precious as ever! Great photos!!
-amy

Jodee Harris said...

I'm cracking up because I'm totally in line with this psychology right now. I was bawling to rob that i can't wait for him to like me again--"i do like you," he said and i refused to believe it. i am a crazy. then i said "i can't wait to like you again!" to which he acted so hurt and surprised. not sure if he realizes that his BREATHING annoys me right now. it's a psycho love/hate/desperately need you/need you to move your head further away from mine, mental state that we're in! Hope yours levels off soon, babe!