Just when you thought we were lightening back up over here... not happening! I threw that last post in there about the clothing boutique to psyche you out. Maybe you thought by the title of this post I was going to be talking about my body these days. Maybe you thought I would even disclose how many pounds of deliciousness I have gained so far this pregnancy and the number of inches of milk fat already accumulating on the back of my arms and thighs. In your dreams! Way too light and fluffy. There are lots of blogs that have light reading though, so I don't feel too bad for you. You can still get your fix. Just might not be here. Not today at least.
I believe part of my healing process has been and will continue to be (probably for forever) making peace with death. It's strange some of the thought processes that have brought me comfort on my low days. Sometimes when I'm lost in my own mind, it surprises me where I find peace crops up. But I don't spend much time dwelling in the surprise of it, I have to just continue riding that train of thought that brings settling feelings. Because I feel like I must be on a good track. And I guess I'm a utilitarian at heart, I seek pleasure and avoid pain. So I just go with it when comfort is luring me.
Is it strange to find comfort in thinking about death? I'm not trying to be morbid. I think when one is faced with having no choice but to deal with death, there is a tendency to want to just shut down and avoid thinking/talking about it at all costs. And the avoidance method works short-term. But following that natural inclination to avoid has brought me no true peace at all. It has only left me feeling unresolved and shallow. When I say thinking about death has brought me peace, I'm not talking about light, casual thinking. I'm talking about allowing myself to really delve into it; to ponder death, what it is really, what it means for us in this journey. The movies always make it so utterly horrifying. And something we have to fear so much. And in media, if the good guy dies, and the bad guy lives, then good loses and evil prevails, period. And when that happens, we're all irate because we just watched that movie or read that book with an unhappy ending. (I'm irate about it too, trust me. I expect a "happy ending" as much as anyone.) But that's not reality at all, is it? I hate to make a Harry Potter reference in here, (okay fine, I love it!) but I finished the 7th book just a couple weeks before Jesse died, and I remember Dumbledore says to Harry something like, "There are far worse things that can happen to a man than death." And I believe that, Albus! I have thought so much about it (not particularly about that wise and wonderful Albus, whom I miss, but more about the concept). I have pondered the millions of wonderful, Godly people who have died in horrific ways in the history of the world. I have thought of innocent children who pass away suddenly and without warning. And our most merciful and loving and perfect God the Father allows this to take place. As strange as it sounds, striving to come to terms with these realities has brought me peace and comfort. The realization that we are not at home here; we are strangers here on earth. The realization that every man, woman, and child inevitably, sooner or later, passes through the veil of death. The realization that death is a part of life and nature, always has been. (Do you watch the Discovery channel? Can you believe the casualty of death out there in nature? Everything's just eating everything else, taking lives left and right. Sometimes I envy the lack of affect in comparison that it has on those critters. But not really, because I'm happy to be human, with all that comes along with it. Just sayin'.) I have been thinking about the way Heavenly Father must view death, and it makes me realize how truly limited our ability to comprehend is. It makes me realize how limited we are in our understanding even though he gives us glimpses to help us. Because there have been so many millions who have died defending truth, defending righteousness. If Heavenly Father allows death to fall upon His most elect, death just can't be as horrifying in the long run as the way the world perceives it, can it? I know I have been taught many of these truths most of my life, that death is part of the plan. But I'm faced with having to internalize it more than I ever have. Those things I've thought I've always believed are being put to the test. I am not trying to minimize the passing of a loved one. So very many have gone through incomprehensible pain and heartbreak of different degrees. Mothers and fathers who bury a tiny precious one. Children left fatherless and motherless. Husbands and wives left without their companions and perhaps for the first time in life feeling total loneliness. Please don't misunderstand me, I'm not being trite about this matter of such life-altering consequence. I am not trying to say death is no big deal to the Lord either, because His compassion surpasses all and our suffering is in fact a big deal to Him. And every single entrance into and exit from this life among his children is important to Him. He is very aware of each one and I believe His angels accompany and attend to each birth and death. I'm simply saying, we don't have the capacity to really see the big picture. We don't have the capacity at this moment to grasp how minute passing through that door from this life to the next is in the process of our eternal progression. Of course it is an supremely important step, just as every birth is so gloriously monumental. But death just can't be all that "bad". Death can't be inherently evil, the way we think of it sometimes. It is bad for those of us who are left behind, filled with confusion and pain. It is crippling. But for those who pass through it, even those who die painful deaths, their suffering only lasts so long. Their suffering is bound. And then they are provided sweet and merciful relief and it is over.
Every time I have been to a viewing, the same resounding confirmation to my heart and mind comes. When I am looking upon a body that once housed a vibrant spirit, I am made very aware that I am only looking at a mere shell made from the materials of this earth. That what I am looking at is not the person I knew. That person is somewhere else. That this body was only the physical manifestation of this person, but not really what defined this person at all. The essence of who this person is lives on elsewhere now. Not defeated. Not deceased. But truly living on, simply in another realm. Because of the resurrection of Jesus Christ, one day the spirit and body will be reunited and a glorious reunion it will be. Christ defeated death in every way imaginable; physically and spiritually. He defeated all wickedness and evil that ever has been or ever will be. He defeated each and every thing we would ever truly have to be fearful of in this lifetime.
Satan debilitates us through fear. He has been working so hard to debilitate me. Fear of being alone in my house, fear that something can and will happen to Jason or Lucy or this unborn child or another family member. Fear of all that could possibly go "wrong" or be painful in this life. The enemy of God works so hard to undermine all that the Savior accomplished while here on earth. He wants to stifle our progression. He wants us to lack faith, because without faith, the miracle of what Jesus Christ did for us can never fully work its miracles in our lives. So I'm working on not being afraid. I'm working on overcoming fear of all kinds; ones I've had for a long time and ones I never knew I had until this experience. I want to be free of fear and full of faith. I want to have a greater understanding of this life and it's purposes. I want to be able to have an eternal perspective so badly.
I hope that this is not seen as an invitation for heartache. :) Even though logically I know my life has its share still to come, I'm not saying, "Bring it on, I love being tested." It's just that, knowing the things that I know, fear of death or anything else for that matter simply has no place in my home. It has no place in my heart, either. I'm not trying to get to a point where I welcome death. I just want to make peace with it. I have not arrived at any destination. I just know where I want to be and grateful for a lifetime to try to get there.
I hope that this is not seen as an invitation for heartache. :) Even though logically I know my life has its share still to come, I'm not saying, "Bring it on, I love being tested." It's just that, knowing the things that I know, fear of death or anything else for that matter simply has no place in my home. It has no place in my heart, either. I'm not trying to get to a point where I welcome death. I just want to make peace with it. I have not arrived at any destination. I just know where I want to be and grateful for a lifetime to try to get there.
5 comments:
I started reading this post, but then when I got to the Harry Potter part, I got scared. I didn't know if you were going to say something that would lead me to understand some of what I'm about to read. Should I wait to finish this post until after I read the books?
That was a heavy post, and so beautifully written. I'm sorry for what you are going through now. Aaron lost a brother when he was 13 and the brother was 20, and on a mission and it's still very painful for him. He doesn't even like to talk about it. One thing that made it worse was the brother drowned and they never found the body.
I had a very traumatic experience six years ago that I still have a hard time processing. Healing does come, and you move past it, but remembering it is like a bruise that never heals and still feels painful to the touch even years later. I felt numb for months and months afterwards, angry and hurt and trying not to feel too much. But the memories would come, often while I was trying not to think about it. I'd go through them, reliving the nightmare and crying, often while doing the most mundane things like vacuuming. I remember telling Aaron a year or so afterwards that I just couldn't see why God had let me be hurt in that way. It took me years before I could see any good that had come out of the experience (but eventually, miraculously, I could see how it HAD brought good).
One thing that has helped me through the years is the words of an older friend who dealt with many of her own adversities. She said this (ironically, about another struggle I'd dealt with years before and had emailed her about, because I was never able to bring myself to talk about my nightmare with her, good friend as she was): "You may never fully understand the 'why' and 'how come' of this experience, but we do know 'Who.' And, if we are able to truly trust in the Lord that everything He gives us is for our profit and salvation that is all we really need to know. Know that He is in control and trust in his infinite wisdom as He refines you and hones you in preparation of making you worthy to re-enter His Kingdom and enjoy all that He has.'
I continue to pray for you and your family.
My Baby mearidith, see? your mom told me to write your name mea..instead of mer.. I dont know which is the right one but still I use it.
I have always believed that the graatest people find their answers in the simle things...many times they make reference to children stories or cartoons. let me tell you a little story: when I was 18 a found my self deep into a emotional break down, I had thoughts of not existing any more.Then Christmas time came along and feeling empty AS USUAL AND looking to the christmas tree, I saw the little baby Jesus made out of ceramics. I thougth then than I was looking to de image of the most beatiful thing that was ever been created "The baby Jesus child." When I realized that, I made a deal whith him. I promesed that no matter where, o who with or without, I always will believe Ill never be alone. Some how I felt that the little child have visited me and some how I knew he brougth and extra gift. During the next months I survived through my depresion but by the summer I was ready to go away. Then I decided to use my present from Jesus and went over our book shelves and grabed the USA map, then , with my finger I point out with no previos knowledge of existence before, Seattle, and ask to be taken there. A place away from the hot wheather of mexico, close to the mountains and close to the see.I had no money nither a plan but two months later I was holding you in my arms at the ward Nancy used to attend to, and you where all little mice over the halloween party.
You are right my baby, you will never understand death, its not the time,and you know it.It will never be your friend either, death will always be quiet no matter how much you ask.
But if we are children of God how could he let us alone facing a enemy that is unbroken?
Some times we have to believe in MAGIC, that magic tha cames after crying so much and makes a little mouse into a white horse that will take to the casttle of happiness again. When God left death to duelth among us he also gave us the a magic gift, that drops into our hearts suddenly and with no explanation all the gray turns white and all the dark turns bright and all the painfull dust becames gold powder.
See,? magic realy exist, you where ones my magic wish. keep finding your aswers un the little things, Dont forget the words of the movie the family of the future "keep moving forward" or just sing the shreks favorite theme "I BELIEVE " LOVE YOUR FRIEND SARA THOMSON FROM MEXICO
Hey sweet meradith, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on your blog... Its always nice to read something that makes me think and look at life from a different perspective, so thank you. I actually finished a book just yesterday called, The Message. Its about a man from Idaho Falls (maybe you've heard of it?) who was in an accident and while in a coma visited the spirit world.. he shares parts of what he experienced there. Anyway, I found myself looking at death in a totally different way. It truly is part of a perfect plan.
I hope you are doing okay and finding some comfort. Lots of love, kate.
Thank you Mer.
Post a Comment