Lucy loves putting my shoes and purses on and striding around the house. She does best with flats and a clutch. And she likes to bring fashion trends back, like one silver shoe and one gold. And the "two right shoes" trend.
Sometimes she gets bold and goes with heels. I was watching her the other day endeavor a particularly painful pair. It was particularly painful, not only because there was absolutely no way she was going to be successful at taking even one step, but also painful because it dawned on me that I couldn't walk any better than she could in them.
These pretty ladies are sitting in my closet. I bought them on sale at Nordy Rack, and felt great about the purchase at the time. I bought them about half way through my pregnancy with Scarlett. I think they are quite stunning with jeans. Skinny or a wider leg. But I am yet to wear them. I just can't see how it's probable that they will make it onto my feet. Jason and I went on a hot date Friday night to a fancy restaurant and a movie (Yay for A-team! Good one!) I was contemplating the shoes all day leading up to our date, trying to buoy myself up and strategizing how I was going to conquer them that night. And alas, they remained behind. I'm not sure what it is about them that have made my relationship with them so unsuccessful. They aren't that wildly different from some other shoes I have. But they are impossible. I have tried them on several times. But cannot even walk across the bathroom in them to my full length mirror. CANNOT walk. And every time I go into the closet and see them sitting there, they taunt me, "You spent money on us, loser!" or, "You'll shoot your eye out!" And then I get angry. And throw them behind my other shoes. And then they somehow creep their way up to the front again, like an ouija board that keeps reappearing. I keep hearing the jumangi drums in my house and when I run to where the sound is coming from, it's the shoes. They're big snobs, these shoes. Arrogant snobs. But now I'm torn between taming the wild beasts and really learning to walk in them and and donating them. What to do. WWYD?
I wish my husband gave a lick about this kinda stuff. If he was behind me, giving me moral support, maybe I'd find the courage to conquer them after all. Those shoes are beautiful, Mer. You have to wear them! They are so flattering... they make your foot and ankle look so feminine...there's that sassy mama I married. That's what he should be saying. But I have to remind myself that this is the man who, in response to asking him how he liked my new perfume, and which scent he preferred between two perfumes, said to me, "I don't know. I just know good smell. And bad smell. Good smell, as in perfume in general. And bad smell, like... poop. Your perfumes don't smell that different to me." Are you kidding me??? I stared at him blankly for no less than a straight 27 seconds. So, since then we've gone with, "spit up and B.O." It's comparable to Escada's newest fragrance. No... he doesn't care about the shoes. I might as well be in white Reeboks 24-7 for all he cares. (Lucky for him, you'll never catch him in white Reeboks. Over my dead body.)
So, if you ever see me wearing the shoes out and about, you should probably come give me a huge congratulatory hug. A lift-me-up-off-the-ground, spin-me-around hug would be nice. And I'll probably act like it's no big deal. "Oh, these old things?! I just threw them on..." But I'm telling you now, IT'S A BIG DEAL.
On a sad and kinda gross note, Lucy has the worst eye infection. Poor thing. And it's really contagious. I hope no one gets it at church or nursery, because we had to give her eye a good wipe and then leave her in there yesterday with all the other kids. I only share this because I know the majority of you are fellow moms and know how it is, but this morning she woke up and her eye looked like this:
Just kidding. Sick!! She does has a love/hate relationship with that oatmeal though. On one hand she loves it so much that she tries to create an oatmeal mask every time it's presented to her. Makes her skin incredibly soft and supple she tells me. I should try flinging it around my face when I eat it, too.
And at the same time she hates it in between her fingers and on her hands. And she becomes distraught almost immediately. As if she has nothing to do with getting it there. Such a victim, Lucy. Take some responsibility. You can't blame oatmeal for all your life problems.

5 comments:
Okay seriously I almost yacked all over my computer screen with the eye infection thing. I was thinking about how sad it was that I would never be able to look at another picture of your daughter again without convulsing. And then it turns out it was oatmeal. Which is good for my relationship with Lucy, but bad for my relationship with oatmeal. Ew. ew. ewwwww...
Hahaha, When i saw that picture of her "fake" eye infection i thought, Why would any person post such a nasty picture of their childs eye infection and i too almost threw up. Gag. Good thing its oatmeal. Those shoes are cute, very cute! If i ever see you wear them believe me i will pick you up and spin you around cause i know it's a big deal. I don't think i would be able to walk in those babys right now if i tried, but hey that's what our men are for, so we can hold onto them while we walk and go on a date. :)
Don't know if I'll be able to eat oatmeal again ;)
And those shoes...HOT!! Husbands aren't very good at giving moral support when it comes to shoes. Mark hates all of my shoes with heels (because they make me taller than him, and he's not cool with that.) But screw em! If the shoes are that HOT, they MUST be shown off! So you strap on those sexy little things, and strut around town!
Oh, Conjunctivitis. You are so disgusting. I laughed out loud when I looked at that last picture of Doofy again. I have never seen such toddler angst and desperation caught in a photo in all my life!
Now yew listen ta meh! I'm gun' make yew wear them there shews every day this summer. No matter what wer doin'. Yew just dug yersef' yer own grave! You's gun' be wearin' them shews on mom and dad's slip n' slide! You's gun' make them shews yer betch.
So, if you're carrying the baby carrier. . .the shoes aren't going to work. The key to platforms, is actually in your core. You have to hold your core tight, jut your hips slightly forward (ala runway model), and basically walk on your toes. But, toting car seats or holding a toddler on the hip is just not conducive to platform stilettos. Therefore, they may not get much air time. But, don't give up on them. Every chick needs a sexy, not-everyday-MOM, kind of heel!
Post a Comment