I don't really know what I'm supposed to write about now. What's "appropriate" or what people will be expecting. I find that expressing my feelings has been more difficult than ever this week. So bear with me.
I came home today from my parents' house in Idaho Falls. I have been dreading coming home to tell you the truth. I haven't really known how to emotionally digest the events of last Tuesday morning. I left the day after he passed away for Idaho and have been trying to figure out how to avoid coming back since. I've been trying to figure out a way I could convince Jason that we needed to sell this house and move. But I love this house. This is where we brought Lucy as a tiny newborn and where we will bring our next brand new angel. This is our home, our refuge, our sanctuary.
My grieving process has been different than that of my parents or siblings. From Tuesday to Saturday, the day of the funeral, I felt such a wide range of emotion but was surprised to primarily feel resentment. I felt angry for the way I found my brother in our home. I felt anger that for that entire first 36 hours after I found him and before leaving up to my parents’ house, I felt inexplicable trembling fear. And then I felt more anger for feeling angry because we were clinging together as family and there was an intruder in my heart that I knew shouldn't be welcomed there. It didn't belong. I knew my anger was preventing me from being truly comforted by the Spirit of the Lord like I longed to be. Since Saturday I have been feeling the burden lifting. I have been feeling more tenderness and softness in my heart; more understanding. I have been feeling more love. I suppose I just need to allow myself to feel whatever it is that I feel and be patient with myself while I process it all. I need to not rush the feelings, and I do have faith that a little time will do me so much good. I also know with certainty that the atonement of Jesus Christ heals all wounds and that through faith in Him I will be healed. Our home is a sacred place, it is our temple, and I know that through the Lord, all feelings of peace and security I previously felt in our home can and will be restored to me.
If I ever doubted how aware my Heavenly Father is of me, this week has been a resounding confirmation of those truths I have been told since I was a child. That He knows me. That He knows my heart and my feelings. That His love for me knows no bounds and that He wants me to feel His love in my life. That He accepts me despite so many weaknesses. I have felt sustained and supported. I know my family members have felt the same. We have been bound together like never before. What a blessing my parents, my siblings and their spouses are in my life. How much I admire them. What immeasureable light our children bring to us. And how much I need my sweetheart husband in order to breathe is something I never realized quite so much. How grateful I am to know my family is forever.
The Lord has sent angels to me, ones I cannot see and ones I can see very well. So many of you have been those angels. I walked upstairs today lead by my husband's hand and was shocked to find that the two guest bedrooms and baths that Jess occupied while living here had been totally cleaned out, furniture rearranged, and everything redecorated. I wept. I felt relief wash through me. Healing relief. What an answer to prayers. Thank you Kacy. Thank you, my neighbors and dear friends who have provided other relief.
My angel mother-in-law and sisters-in-law have been here this week cleaning as well. The house probably hasn't been this clean since we moved in. I cannot thank you enough.
Countless emails and messages of love and concern have come streaming through to our family. Such an outpouring of Christ-like love. Empathy is underrated. It is a powerful ability that the human family possesses to reach out to brothers and sisters and to aid in healing. Thank you to all of you who have reached out to us or said a prayer on our behalf. Every one of you has been a blessing.
We know that Jesse is mercifully freed from the mortal challenges and suffering he faced. We will miss him so much. We are so sorrowful to know we won’t be with him until after we leave this life, but we know that God's plan of salvation for His children is real and that our brother is waiting for us.
The funeral was a wonderful service and honor to Jesse. The siblings together shared the privilege of the life sketch, my sisters and I sang, Jason spoke and my father spoke as well. It was a sacred experience for us. We felt him near. One of the quotes that Jason shared was along the lines that the only way to take sorrow out of death is to take love out of life. We would never wish to take love out of this life. And so we must, grudgingly at times, accept the opposition in all things. Jesse, we love you so much. We have shared so many laughs and memories together. Jason, Lucy and I are honored to have spent your last few months of earth life with you. Lucy loved you so much, and you her. We will tell her all about you. We are so thankful that Heavenly Father gave you to us, your earthly family. We will continue to love you always and will look forward to the day that we can all be together again.
These are the lyrics to the song we sang for Jesse on Saturday. We're sure that he loved it.
My Shepherd will supply my need
Jehovah is His Name;
In pastures fresh, He makes me feed,
Beside the living stream.
He brings my wandering spirit back
When I forsake His ways,
And leads me, for His mercy's sake,
In paths of truth and grace.
When I walk through the shades of death,
Thy presence is my stay;
A word of Thy supporting breath
Drives all my fears away.
Thy hand, in sight of all my foes,
Doth still my table spread;
My cup with blessings overflows,
Thine oil anoints my head.
The sure provisions of my God
Attend me all my days;
O may Thy house be my abode,
And all my work be praise!
There would I find a settled rest,
While others go and come;
No more a stranger, nor a guest,
But like a child at home.
Jehovah is His Name;
In pastures fresh, He makes me feed,
Beside the living stream.
He brings my wandering spirit back
When I forsake His ways,
And leads me, for His mercy's sake,
In paths of truth and grace.
When I walk through the shades of death,
Thy presence is my stay;
A word of Thy supporting breath
Drives all my fears away.
Thy hand, in sight of all my foes,
Doth still my table spread;
My cup with blessings overflows,
Thine oil anoints my head.
The sure provisions of my God
Attend me all my days;
O may Thy house be my abode,
And all my work be praise!
There would I find a settled rest,
While others go and come;
No more a stranger, nor a guest,
But like a child at home.
12 comments:
For one who didn't know what to write about, you brought another one to tears.
I've thought and thought and thought about your special circumstances and wondered specifically how you were doing. I'm so glad to hear you are moving in a positive direction.
What a remarkable and wonderful family you have. I felt honored to be with you and especially to snuggle your sweet little Lucy (Lucinda, right??? ;) )
I'm anxious to hear the recording of the funeral.
You will remain in my prayers Meradith!
Thank you for such a profound and beautiful post.
Courtney and I must be related because she took the words right out of my mouth.
Thank you for sharing your feelings and for all of the posts. I have been so concerned for your whole family but not sure when it would be okay for me to ask Tiff or Abe how things were.
I, too, have wondered specifically how your homecoming would unfold, and I am so glad that you have such amazing friends and family there to take care of you.
Be patient with yourself and your feelings. You all remain in our family and personal prayers.
Wow -- what an honest and heartfelt look at your feelings and testimony. I'm touched by your faith and determination even though I know things are hard. I'm so grateful you've had so many to help you through this and I want you to know that we continue to pray for you and your family.
We love you guys, and as always, wish we were closer in proximity. We are praying for you.
You are truly amazing, my dear. I am so grateful that I got to attend the funeral and feel so uplifted by you, your siblings, your husband, and especially your Dad. You all,even in your grief, were true witnesses of the atonement of Jesus Christ. Thank you.
When you all sang the song, I thought back to when I saw Jesse at your mission farewell (or maybe it was your homecoming), and I remember teasing him about how uncomfortable he was at Church (and in a tie) and surrounded by beautiful, "spiritual" girls. And I thought of how he must have felt like a stranger or a guest. So, I loved thinking of him as at home now finally able to see himself as a precious child of God.
Thank you. I love you all so much.
Hi Mera,
I am so happy to hear from you. I love you very much.
That was a beautiful post. You are an amazing writer. I am in awe of your faith and courage and love. You are in our prayers sweet girl. I hope I can see you in person sometime very soon.
I am so thankful that you are surrounded by such an amazing group. You would be very proud if you knew the things I have heard about that husband of yours.
I know I am far away but if there is anything I can do please let me know.
Love you...
Jill
We don't know each other very well, but I just feel like I should tell you how very sorry I am for your loss. You are such a STRONG and faithful person and that has always impressed me about you. Through reading your blog I can see that you never let things stop you. You continue on your way determined and with more faith than before.I know my words are meager compared to the sorrow you're experiencing right now. Please just know that you have been SUCH a great example to me of all that I would someday like to become.
Perfectly said Meradith. So perfect.
I feel so thankful to know of your angels who cleaned out the rooms, rearranged, redecorated. What angels on earth.
Oh Meva, I yuved this post. I look up to you so much as my big sister, mother and writer. I can't wait to be back with you in a few days. I yuv yew sistow.
Thank you for sharing your sweet, sweet testimony. I pray for you to have continued comfort.
Love, Marci
Mera you are such an amazing woman. Your family is so wonderful and it sounds like your in-laws are just as loving and thoughtful.
I love you so much.
B
Dear Meradith,
I am so, so, so very sorry for your loss.
The powerful, beautiful, and eloquent words in this post have truly touched my heart--what an amazing tribute to your brother.
Behrad and I will be thinking about you and praying for you.
Love,
The Tabatabaeis
Post a Comment