Wednesday, March 31, 2010

The Morning Mayhem

This morning went like this. I wake up this morning because Lucy is crying earlier than usual. Jason gets her at 6:00 AM. She is being snugglier than normal, a little whiny. We snuggle in our bed for a time but can't lolly gag for long because we have dentist appointments up in South Jordan. We're bustling around trying to get ready. Jason's appt is at 8:30 and mine at 9:30, we decide to drive separately. He leaves, I jump in shower with Lucy, we get out and all ready to load up in the car and she promptly starts spewing chunks ALL over the place. (Is there anything quite as pitiful or helpless as a toddler throwing up? Sad, sad poor little thing.) I throw her back in the tub, clothes on, clean up the carpet best I can and call Jason to tell him we won't be coming up. He's still just sitting in waiting room. Call receptionist at dentist office to reschedule, she tells me they've been waiting for us and has tried to call us. I tell her my husband is sitting in the waiting area. She says, no he's not. I tell her I'll call her back and hang up. It dawns on me that I made the appointment with our old dentist whom we haven't seen in 2 years, Dr. Steven J. Smith, not our current dentist, Dr. Steven D. Smith. How on earth could I confuse the two? Hating my life. Call Jason to let him know that he does not in fact have an appt at the office after he's driven 30 minutes to get there and where he's been sitting for the another 30 minutes. Told him that the office staff may or may not be creeped out by the loiterer with no appt who's just hangin' out. He responds appropriately, "Oh my hell". Call old dentist office back and explain what happened. She is polite but doesn't think it's as funny as I think she should. Regardless I'm fake laughing up a storm because I feel stupid. Consider chewing her out and telling her I'm really hormonal and emotional and if I'm fake laughing, she should be fake laughing too. We should be FLing together. Decide against it in a split second, apologize and hang up. Luckily current dentists office will still work Jason's cleaning in (Dr. Steven D. Smith, not to be confused with J, is our brother in law after all). We still feel lucky that they can work him in. Office staff is relieved to know he wasn't there just to sit and watch them after all. I go about continuing to clean throw up off the carpet and Lucy is following me around in her diaper crying, ashamed. Then she goes over to another area across the room, points at the floor, and starts crying harder in shame. I go to where she's pointing and find another huge batch of throw up, and I have no idea when or how that one happened. I tell her it's okay and after clean up settle into our recliner with her and a blankie. She won't be put down, and I don't blame her. Poor girl. Still to this moment, can't get the throw up smell out of my nose. It could be anywhere and everywhere, the barf hunt continues.

She is snoozing peacefully now and I have a million things to do. We just flew back into town yesterday and someone came and broke into my house and made a bunch of messes while we were gone. My nesting urges are making me completely insane but the bratty teenager in me is fighting back against those urges, "I'm sitting down and blogging while she naps you fools! I'm not cleaning or doing laundry! I'll do that crap for the rest of the entire day! I'm a person too!!"

So I'll inevitably feel guilty about having so many things to do and spending time blogging. Jason will come home from work and will casually say, "What did you do today?" as in, "How'd the day go?" to which I will respond defensively and immaturely, something like, "You think you're better than me?! You think you can judge me?? My pelvis feels like it's gonna break in half any second!! Every time I get up to walk I have shooting stabbing pains in my groin that make be double over like I'm a dude that just took a baseball bat there! I have constant charlie horses in my calves! And Lucy's sick and clingier than ever! Do you know how hard it is for me to lift her these days? I'm so tired! How dare you judge me and ask for a report of what I've done today! So I guess on top of thinking I'm fat and unattractive, you think I'm lazy!!" And then he will stare blankly at me for a few seconds and ask if I want him to read my latest blog post. And I will say sure.

*A side note confession: I've realized pregnancy completely depletes my ability to feel compassion for other people. That is, other people who are not other pregnant women. Actually I take that back. I still have compassion for menstral cramps and that time of the month stuff. Yeah... still feel it for for pretty much any ache/pain related to a uterus. Or breasts. Anyway, Jason was complaining a little the other morning that he didn't sleep very well because he kinked his neck, and how not getting a good night's sleep just really affects him. Now, I don't think he remembered ever actually waking up, he just felt a little less rested upon waking. He was stretching his neck this way and that, grimacing and hinting away for a little rubbing action. I just said, "I'm sorry," and then told him I wasn't going to say anything else. He looked at me a little confused. I knew I needed to keep it at that and not even open up that can. But you should have heard my inner dialogue. I'm a big wench.

Onto the real purpose of this post. Pictures of babes. My mom came down from Idaho and after we had Carson for a few days, Nessa and Sam left Leah with us for a few more days so they could escape and rekindle their romance in Las Vegas. (Thank goodness mom will be back in a few short weeks.) These two wee little lasses are a mere 2.5 months apart in age. They've come a long way together since this:
And they sure are infatuated with one another.
We used to think Leah would bully Lucy as soon as she could. But I'm afraid it's a little bit the other way around. But Leah loves the abuse. Lots of hysterical laughter going on.
And they both bully me. Something about the belly that they can't get enough of. Really. Constantly ripping up my shirt and rubbing little hands all over the place.
Obsessed with each other.

P.S. Lucy just woke up crying. I went up and found her jammies and diaper off and a little present for me in the diaper. Well, at least some of it is still in the diaper that is. While she did in actuality seem ashamed and quite distraught about throwing up all over, she is quite unabashed about this. Love it. Please let there be something sweet and caloric right now in my pantry I can stuff my face with.

5 comments:

Challis said...

Thank you for being you. It truly validates everything in my life.

Ashley and Paul Giddings said...

Meradith! I miss you! I think I will copy and paste all your pregnancy posts the next time I am pregnant...it describes EVERYTHING to a "T". Love it and love you! Let's play this summer...with all four of our little babes!

Kandice said...

Meradith - I'm sorry you had a rough day! And I certainly hope Lucy is feeling better. But thanks for posting - I was dying laughing! I love your "defensive and immature" (potential) responses ... because I definitely relate :) Kandice.

Vanessa said...

I can't believe you just tried to overshadow Timon and Pumbaa with your wee dentist story!

Poor little Loofalicious! Yuver!

Kendell said...

Meradith,
You are so awesome and I miss you so much! I love these small glimpses into your world! Lucy is so cute! You are beautiful! I can't wait to see how cute this next one will be!